Welcome to the Habit Judo Discussion

allen.reece

Apr 7, 2011, 9:22:24 PM4/7/11
to Habit Judo
Hi folks,

I thought I'd be helpful to drop tips and suggestions into a space
where anyone can get access to them. Below is a question I had in
response to my initial post:

Q:
>In the wake of your comment, I'm thinking I'm going to try and apply a similar system for myself to make >good habits and break old ones. One question for you: am I right in surmising that you've set the "level up" >bar at 100 points (10 points over 10 days as a maximum)?

A:
Here's my system:

Where
N = number of habits
M = number of days you want between levels

the points to move to the next level should be M*N*5 , where 5 is the
average score per habit per day assuming a random score between 1 and
10.

if you have 3 habits, and you want to level, on average, every 10
days, you'll want:

3*10*5= 150 points

I also build in a reward at the halfway mark towards the next belt.

After you leveled to the next belt, adding a habit (4*10*5) you'd need
200 points to level.

If you want to be really tricky, you can add a modifier effect, making
earlier levels easier to achieve and the latter levels more difficult.
Farmville and WoW do this. It's much easier to make progress in the
beginning. Once you're hooked, it becomes harder to level.

Eric Dodson

Apr 19, 2011, 2:47:24 PM4/19/11
to Habit Judo
Hi! Thanks for setting this up! I started tracking habits and
rewards about a month ago. I'm still making slight adjustments as I
go. With mine, I have selected a lower per-habit payoff of 2-5, in
order to start with more habits -- my levels are at regular 100 point
intervals. If, at some point, I find that I've got so many habits
that leveling up occurs too quickly, I can lower the payoff rate.
I'll also add that keeping track of how many times I've done a task,
miles I've ran, minutes I've meditated, etc, is an important part of
this tracking program. It's pretty cool to see what results this kind
of program can deliver.

allen.reece

Apr 21, 2011, 12:19:12 AM4/21/11
to Habit Judo
Thanks for stopping by. I''d appreciate it if you fleshed your
description out a bit more. What are you recording on a daily basis?
How does the # of times play into the system?

-A