Unable to connect to database.

Scorpion

Sep 17, 2015, 8:58:34 AM9/17/15
to habari-users
I'm still using an older 0.6 version and have been posting on  a weekly basis since late 2008. Works perfectly.
Today I suddenly could not access my blog at http://bluesmaster.nl

Error : Unable to connect to database. (Habari General Error)

I've downloaded the SQLite db via FTP and found in the log that the latest access has been on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 12:49:55 GMT via my own IP
FTP access is locked by IP via my hosting provider btw.
This is as it should be, so I'm not hacked.

BTW, I'm checking the blog's availability every single day via my browser (Safari on OS X) and until today everything was fine.

I've downloaded the SQLite databes and checked for an unwanted 'lock'. Feedback : normal.
Deleted the database on the server and re-uploaded again.

All to no avail.

My ISP cannot do anything, sadly. Anyone able to help me ?

ringmaster

Sep 17, 2015, 9:06:53 AM9/17/15
to habari-users
My first guess, if you've changed nothing yourself, would be that your ISP changed something on your server that made PHP unable to connect to your SQLite database.  In particular, I would run phpinfo() on the server to see if the SQLite PDO drivers are still there.

You could also check your server log for errors that are related.

It is very strange that it would suddenly stop working with no intervention, especially if your database seems to be in working order.

Owen

Scorpion

Sep 17, 2015, 11:05:29 AM9/17/15
to habari-users
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I well & truly baffled, nothing to indicate something like this was about to happen.
I'll do the check you've suggested and ask my hostingprovider is something has changed at their end.
I'll post again when new info is available ...

Peter

Scorpion

Sep 17, 2015, 11:59:48 AM9/17/15
to habari-users
FWIW, here's the phpinfo : http://bluesmaster.nl/phpinfo.php
I'm not sure if there should be something specifically point to SQLite support ?
Please advise ...

ringmaster

Sep 17, 2015, 12:08:01 PM9/17/15
to habari-users
From the looks of your phpinfo, it seems like my initial suspicion was correct.

Your PDO drivers include:  dblib, mysql, odbc, pgsql
My PDO drivers include: mysql, sqlite

I would guess that your host changed your server on you.

Also, I notice that your PHP version is 5.2.17.  I'm pretty sure the Habari installer requires 5.3, so I'm not sure how that was managed.

I'd definitely check with your host to see what the story is.

Owen

Scorpion

Sep 17, 2015, 2:04:50 PM9/17/15
to habari-users
Thanks for taking a look and provide me with the ammunition to get back at my hostingprovider.
Much appreciated !

Scorpion

Sep 18, 2015, 6:11:26 AM9/18/15
to habari-users
My hostingprovider told me that yesterday's phpinfo data did not necessarily showed the *actual* data, since they'd tried to rectify the situation by putting up a backup from Saturday last week (which didn't he;p at all btw). It escapes me how doing that would suddenly show a very old PHP version.
I looked again just at http://bluesmaster.nl/phpinfo.php and it now show a much more recent PHP version 5.2, bit AFAICT still without SQLite PDO divers.

Can you confirm  ? TIA !

epi...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2015, 7:24:59 AM9/18/15
to habari...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Looking at your phpinfo, there's no way that the server configured the way it currently is could have run your Habari site because it is lacking the SQLite PDO driver. You can see the drivers that you have listed in the PDO section of the phpinfo output.  It's unusual for it to be disabled, really.

Your PHP version is also pretty old. To my knowledge, PHP is about to end support for PHP 5.4, which is already significantly ahead of what you have installed. Your server is likely not being patched for any security issues as related to PHP by your host if they're keeping that old of a version.

Owen

Scorpion

Sep 18, 2015, 7:52:18 AM9/18/15
to habari-users
Thanks again for your prompt and clear reply.
Stay tuned, please ...

Scorpion

Sep 21, 2015, 5:54:03 AM9/21/15
to habari-users
Some good news ! To my great surprise everything is suddenly working again.
A quick look at http://bluesmaster.nl/phpinfo.php now shows

-quote-
dblib, mysql, odbc, pgsql, sqlite, sqlite2
-unquote-

For some reason the SQLite PDO divers have been activated again. Makes a world of difference.

BTW, thanks again for your support. It has been exemplary over the years.

I'm sorry to see that Habari development has stalled and the site itself is unavailable.

I'll transfer the content of my blog to another platform, most likely a static blog generator.
I've been following this trend for quite a while now and my current favourite is Hugo : http://gohugo.io

Please take care !

Warmest regards,

Peter