Arabic probelm

Ahmad Abd Elghany

Aug 30, 2013, 2:34:16 AM8/30/13
to habari...@googlegroups.com
i tried the demo , i wrote an arabic post :)
but its just

بس� ا���

these char shown , so how about fixing the Arabic problem , using an flat file XML as a back end due to the efficiency and portability .

and is there any chance to use a code highlighter ?

Chris Meller

Aug 30, 2013, 9:16:17 AM8/30/13
to Habari Users
Sometimes there can be something wrong with one of the steps of encoding along the way. The demo may have something like that wrong with it, I'll take a look at it later today and see if I can figure out what's up.

I've used the Highlighter plugin, which wraps around Geshi, before and would recommend it. There are several others, I just don't have any experience with them:

Chris Meller

Aug 30, 2013, 9:28:16 AM8/30/13
to Habari Users
I copied and pasted some Arabic (مثال.إختبار) into a new post on the demo, published it, and looked at the post: مثال.إختبار, so it seems to have worked fine for me.

Can you give that one more go? If it still doesn't work can you tell me if the text looks messed up as soon as you hit publish (in the edit form), or is it just when you try and view the post? Or both?

Rienk Doetjes

Aug 31, 2013, 7:52:57 PM8/31/13
to habari...@googlegroups.com
I ran a little test on the demo, too... the only thing I noticed is that the Title has to be standard European roman characters.

What is your browser's encoding set to? (In Chrome, go to 'view' > 'encoding'). Habari's default is Unicode (UTF-8), like pretty much everything on the web (and a standard for most databases, too). I can get something similar to your results by switching the encoding to Arabic (Windows-1256 or ISO-8895-6).

Chris Meller

Sep 1, 2013, 5:25:17 PM9/1/13
to Habari Users
I can verify the problem with the title. No idea why that would be...