Notice File

Morydd

Jan 12, 2008, 11:49:11 AM1/12/08
to habari-dev
http://trac.habariproject.org/habari/ticket/96

Currently, we list, under "Credits", the members of the PMC in
chronological order. Is this the format we wish to keep? This has the
potential to become a very long list over time, and as "Credit" seems
incomplete. It does not acknowledge the contributions of the non-PMC
members of the community through patches, documenation, support, etc.

However, attempting to list each person who has contributed is
prolematic as well. It's likely to be thousands of people over time,
and would require some sort of standard for inclusion (thereby adding
additionaly divisions to the community), or would require listing
everyone who ever contributed to the mailing list, the IRC channel,
the wiki, or whatever. Yikes!

The other option would be to simply omit this section, or replace it
with notation that the credit is due to the community. I don't know
what the implications for this are as far as long-term ownership
issues go.

Christopher Davis

Jan 13, 2008, 3:03:36 PM1/13/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I think we need a list of those individuals who have committed code/
documentation to SVN for legal reasons. I could be wrong about that
though. Ask Rich.

Morydd

Jan 13, 2008, 5:03:03 PM1/13/08
to habari-dev
I talked to him on IRC, and he seemed to think the Credit portion was
unneeded.
> > Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Rich Bowen

Jan 15, 2008, 7:06:51 AM1/15/08
to habar...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 13, 2008, at 17:03, Morydd wrote:

I talked to him on IRC, and he seemed to think the Credit portion was
unneeded.

My concern is one of scalability. We've got a bunch of committers, and an even larger group of patch-contributors. What does the notice file look like 2 years from now? 10 years from now? Do we list everyone who has contributed a one-patch line? This gets out of hand really quickly, and serves limited usefulness.

This is not something I feel strongly about, it's just a "who maintains this" kind of thing. Every new patch is accompanied by updating the Notice file?

Also, if folks are contributing in order to be recognized, I'm not sure we want to reward that.

Anyways, just an opinion. I don't think there's a right answer on this.

--
Rich Bowen