Server Move

Owen Winkler

Dec 20, 2013, 8:43:24 AM12/20/13
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to stop paying for the current habariproject.org server on the
31st. IT WILL CEASE TO EXIST.

There is already a new server configured, and most of the important
things are moved there and running properly (yes, including Mediawiki).

Things yet to do on the new server:

* Move SSL Certs
* One last database migration
* Setup of any automated builds
* JibbyBot?
* DNS re-aim

There are probably some things that can wait until they cause pain, but
at least the above would be ideal. I welcome questions generated by
this thread, however given the mid-holiday timeline, please have some
idea how to do or research the thing you want to help with yourself
before you volunteer. Hit me (or anyone else with access) up on #habari
for a login if you need one and don't have it.

Please help where you can, so there's no downtime!

Also, much thanks to moeffju for snatching up the habari.org domain for
us. Pretty awesome.

Thanks everybody!
Owen

Matthias Bauer

Dec 20, 2013, 9:03:01 AM12/20/13
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Here’s an idea to speed up the process: Give me the new IPs and I’ll just change the zone. I’ll put in a record for the old server so we can still access it.
I can also buy a new SSL cert for habari.org (RapidSSL or sth, ~$30/yr).

In my experience it’s easier to fix things that are broken on the new system than to change from one still-running system to another.

Owen Winkler

Dec 20, 2013, 9:15:39 AM12/20/13
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 12/20/2013 9:03 AM, Matthias Bauer wrote:
Here�s an idea to speed up the process: Give me the new IPs and I�ll just change the zone. I�ll put in a record for the old server so we can still access it.
I can also buy a new SSL cert for habari.org (RapidSSL or sth, ~$30/yr).

In my experience it�s easier to fix things that are broken on the new system than to change from one still-running system to another.

Works for me.� New IP is 192.241.163.13

Sean Coates

Dec 20, 2013, 9:36:28 AM12/20/13
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 12/20/2013 9:03 AM, Matthias Bauer wrote:
Here’s an idea to speed up the process: Give me the new IPs and I’ll just change the zone. I’ll put in a record for the old server so we can still access it.
I can also buy a new SSL cert for habari.org (RapidSSL or sth, ~$30/yr).

In my experience it’s easier to fix things that are broken on the new system than to change from one still-running system to another.

Works for me.  New IP is 192.241.163.13

FWIW, when doing a migration like this, I usually set up a reverse proxy on the old box (on HTTP and HTTPS) to forward to the new IP. DNS propagation can't be trusted to work in any sort of predictable way (ISPs ignore TTL, for example).

Chris Meller

Dec 20, 2013, 11:09:40 AM12/20/13
to Habari Dev
The only problems I've had recently with TTLs being ignored are for less than intelligent bots (Baidu, namely) that I don't care in the slightest about anyway.

I can get the SSL certs moved over now, no problem. Getting the automated builds moved over is more of a problem, those cron jobs are nasty, but I'll take care of those as well.

I can also do the database migration when we're finally ready to pull the plug, but there's no point in doing that until the last minute or we'll just have to do it over again anyway.

I'm all for moving JibbyBot onto the new box. She needs a little TLC in her current state and mainly serves #habari anyway, so it just makes sense. As I've said, I'm also happy to host her if someone objects to her being on hp.o.

Owen Winkler

Dec 20, 2013, 11:12:30 AM12/20/13
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 12/20/2013 11:09 AM, Chris Meller wrote:
> The only problems I've had recently with TTLs being ignored are for
> less than intelligent bots (Baidu, namely) that I don't care in the
> slightest about anyway.

> I can also do the database migration when we're finally ready to pull
> the plug, but there's no point in doing that until the last minute or
> we'll just have to do it over again anyway.

This is one thing the proxy would serve -- not having to migrate data
multiple times.

One alternative thought I had was to have the old server's sites use the
new server's database, then migrate just once.

Chris J. Davis

Dec 20, 2013, 11:13:39 AM12/20/13
to Habari Dev
Either of these would be acceptable I think. Option two would be the least amount of work I would expect.

Chris Meller

Dec 20, 2013, 11:18:56 AM12/20/13
to Habari Dev
Setting up the reverse proxy isn't hard either, it just seems like an extra step to me. I'm not concerned about tons of people (as if we got tons of traffic) not having updated DNS, so setting up a reverse proxy for them, rather than just flipping the DNS switch, seems redundant effort.

In any event, we still have to do another database migration, so the timing of it is really academic. Does it matter if it's done before we turn on the reverse proxy or before we flip DNS? Not really...

Sean Coates

Dec 20, 2013, 11:20:48 AM12/20/13
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I'm not pushing for this—especially because I've been so hands-off—but if it's Apache and mod_proxy is installed, it's a pretty easy stanza (even easier if it's Nginx). But up to whoever's doing it, of course.

Chris J. Davis

Dec 20, 2013, 11:21:53 AM12/20/13
to Habari Dev
Sure, this is just our usual process, no worries.

Owen Winkler

Dec 20, 2013, 11:34:44 AM12/20/13
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Green paint please. Forest green, only.

Chris Meller

Dec 20, 2013, 11:39:53 AM12/20/13
to Habari Dev
If someone else wants to handle that, feel free. I'm saying *I* see no point in it, so I'm not particularly motivated in doing it myself.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Owen Winkler <epi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Green paint please.  Forest green, only.

Christopher Davis

Dec 20, 2013, 12:24:46 PM12/20/13
to habar...@googlegroups.com, habar...@googlegroups.com
Why would you paint a she's green? It should obviously be red.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 20, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Owen Winkler <epi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Green paint please. Forest green, only.

Matthias Bauer

Matthias Bauer

Dec 23, 2013, 3:08:33 PM12/23/13
to habar...@googlegroups.com
(It looks like the new server doesn’t have SSL running. That is something we might wanna fix sooner rather than later.)

Chris Meller

Dec 23, 2013, 3:23:42 PM12/23/13
to Habari Dev
Yeah, we weren't really ready to switch that yet...

Owen Winkler

Dec 23, 2013, 5:40:12 PM12/23/13
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 12/23/2013 3:08 PM, Matthias Bauer wrote:
> (It looks like the new server doesn�t have SSL running. That is
> something we might wanna fix sooner rather than later.)

SSL is working for me now that I just updated the configs.

Owen