Webmentions

Michael Bishop

Jan 5, 2014, 1:37:12 PM1/5/14
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Just came across this and was curious if it is something that has been discussed in adding/changing in Habari

"WebMention is a modern reimplementation of Pingback using only HTTP and x-www-urlencoded content rather than XMLRPC requests. WebMention supersedes Pingback."

Christopher Davis

Jan 5, 2014, 3:02:22 PM1/5/14
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I have looked at it, and it does look interesting. I think the "spec" is still in flow though.

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Meller

Jan 5, 2014, 8:18:50 PM1/5/14
to Habari Dev
Looking at the spec at webmention.org, it looks *exactly* like a Pingback, except they use a regular x-www-urlencoded POST instead of XML-RPC.

The main objection of the (rather snarky and off-putting) Indie Web Camp page is that they don't like XML-RPC (it "is deadend tech"). I'm not really a fan either, but it's already implemented everywhere. New for the sake of being new isn't really appealing to me. Is there anything that makes WebMention stand out that I'm missing?

Owen Winkler

Jan 5, 2014, 9:47:08 PM1/5/14
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Without web of trust (which can be implemented on top of XML-RPC, too) or some other spam-prevention mechanism (no, Akismet is not even sufficient) this technology is just a crappier version of the original spam-abused pingback. Does anyone actually use pingback for things other than spam these days?

Michael Bishop

Jan 5, 2014, 10:02:55 PM1/5/14
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough. As I said, stumbled upon it, saw a few people I respect were implementing it and thought I'd ask if anyone had looked at it.