Virtual sprint this weekend

Thomas Kluyver

Jul 31, 2020, 9:03:55 AM7/31/20
to h5py
Hi all,

We're going to be holding a virtual sprint this weekend, trying to push towards getting h5py 3.0 out. I'm not sure how many issues there are which would be easy for new contributors to tackle, but we'll go through the issue tracker and try to tag some 'good first issues'.

If you're interested in joining in, take a look at:

- The (newly created) chat room: https://gitter.im/h5py/h5py

Maintainers in at least Australia and Europe will be online, and maybe in the US as well. So we're hoping that there will be at least one person available to answer questions for most of the time over the weekend. This is the first time we've tried anything like this in h5py, so please be patient with us - it's not going to be some slick, polished event!

Like any open source project, h5py is not just the library code itself - we also need to maintain:

- Documentation
- A test suite
- Build scripts
- CI configuration (we use Azure, Travis & Appveyor)
- Infrastructure to support releases (Rever)
- Compatibility with dependencies (principally HDF5 & numpy)

For h5py, this all lives in a single repostory (apart from a small landing page), which makes it quite easy to get an overview of what's going on.

Best wishes,
Thomas

Thomas Kluyver

Aug 7, 2020, 5:38:15 AM8/7/20
to h5py
This was fairly productive last weekend, and we're going to try to repeat it this weekend. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, we'll be ready to release h5py 3.0.

If anyone wants to join us, all the links are the same as last weekend. Maintainers in Europe and the US will be online, and maybe also one in Australia.

Best wishes,
Thomas