Approaching h5py 3.0

Thomas Kluyver

Sep 28, 2020, 6:06:47 AM9/28/20
to h5py
Hi all,

I think we're getting close to having h5py 3.0 ready. There are a couple more changes to how h5py is built that I'd like to get in first. In particular, I've been working on building wheels on every commit:

I've also tried to simplify the build scripts by getting rid of the 'setup.py configure' command:

I'm looking for review on both of those PRs now. Once they're in, I plan to do a release candidate, to give people a few days to find major problems before the final 3.0 release.

If there are changes not yet merged that you think need to be in 3.0, please point them out. But this release has already taken too long, so I don't want to hold it up much longer. I'm hoping that after 3.0, we'll be able to make smaller, more frequent releases.

Thanks,
Thomas