Question about database file versions vs H2 versions

Silvio

Dec 29, 2021, 10:44:11 AM12/29/21
to H2 Database
Hello all,

I am designing a H2 database version migration mechanism for our application. Since it is a multi-tenant server that runs scripts on multiple host machines covering ~25K database files in total we need to incorporate an incremental (possible lazy) database conversion scheme. Until now we have used a single embedded H2 for database access.

The current plan is to use a H2 server process to access old databases and have an embedded H2 that is the latest version for the already converted databases. Conversions will be done by doing SQL dumps from the TCP server and recreating the database from these dumps using embedded H2.

Can we keep it at one TCP server for the old (H2 1.4.200) databases and have the latest H2 2.0.2xx for the embedded mode? Or will database file versions vary so often that we will have to have multiple TCP servers for managing various older-than-current 2.0.2xx versions as well?

I guess what I am asking is if we can expect database file incompatibilities for all future releases or will you incorporate that somehow into the release schedule? Something like 2.0.xx versions will have compatible file layouts while 2.1.xx will use a new layout or something like that.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kind regards,

Silvio