tagging a stable release?

Ted Mielczarek

Aug 11, 2016, 9:56:00 AM8/11/16
to gyp-developer
It seems pretty arbitrary, but I'd like to submit a gyp formula to Homebrew to make it easy to install on OS X, but their requirements include "must have a tagged stable version":
https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/blob/master/share/doc/homebrew/Acceptable-Formulae.md#stable-versions

I think gyp has seen enough widespread usage to warrant tagging a stable release to meet this requirement, even if it's mostly meaningless.

What do you think?

-Ted

Dirk Pranke

Aug 11, 2016, 12:51:08 PM8/11/16
to Ted Mielczarek, gyp-developer
I think that seems fine. It might be a good idea to submit a PyPI package and RPMs or DEBs as well.

-- Dirk

--

---

keithb...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2017, 12:19:33 AM3/14/17
to gyp-developer, ted.mie...@gmail.com
It would be great if there were some tags for a homebrew release for macOS. We're interested in deploying this in our iOS infrastructure and it would be useful to be able to install a stable version to do so.

Pat S

Oct 9, 2019, 9:05:11 AM10/9/19
to gyp-developer
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread - facing the same need as OP and was wondering if his request might be considered.

Dirk, to your point I noticed PyPI, RPM, and DEBs exist these days

For the above packages it seems the authors ostensibly assigned version 0.1 to whatever gyp's latest revision is at the time they author. (haven't looked closely)

Meanwhile the Homebrew maintainers have remained quite adamant over the years about only using upstream tags.

Even if it's mostly meaningless, it seems like it might make things convenient and consistent for downstream to have a tag.

Thanks for considering. Sunk some time into tracking this down and hoping to make future developer's lives, including Keith and Ted's here, easier.
~Patrick

Dirk Pranke

Oct 9, 2019, 4:23:22 PM10/9/19
to Pat S, gyp-developer
Are you asking simply for a git tag in the repo, or something more?

-- Dirk

Pat S

Oct 11, 2019, 11:17:11 AM10/11/19
to Dirk Pranke, gyp-developer
It seems to me a Git tag in the repo would satisfy folks.
What do you think?

~Patrick

Pat S

Oct 25, 2019, 1:55:32 PM10/25/19