Icloud 5 Gb

Dierdre Roussin

Jul 24, 2024, 10:53:43 AM (2 days ago) Jul 24
to gyp-developer

So I updated a machine with a bunch of files on the Desktop and in the Documents folder, and when I upgraded it asked me if I wanted to store these folders on iCloud as well. I hit YES and it began trying to upload everything. Now, I guess I had a large file in one of the folders because the total upload was almost 9GB (i have 200GB of available iCloud space). It failed the upload and has just been stuck on 57kb of 8.89GB uploaded for over a day. I've tried restarting and it hasn't moved. I haven't found a way to quit it either. This has been making my machine incredibly slow and has caused the fans to speed up like crazy. Anytime I try to access an Open or Save dialog, the app I'm using crashes, whether it's Preview, Xcode, Photoshop, or even Safari.

icloud 5 gb

Download File 🔗 https://urllie.com/2zKLVJ

So I went to the iCloud system preferences and unchecked the "Desktop and Documents" item. I figured it wouldn't delete things that were still locally saved on my disk. But I was wrong and now every single file on both my Desktop and in my Documents is gone. Not in the trash, nowhere to be found. Gone.

Can any one help me with this? Has anyone experienced something similar? The iCloud upload is still there and still isn't progressing at all (not sure what its trying to upload anyways since the files were all deleted). My computer is unusable and my files are all gone. I have a Time Machine backup from last week, but I will not have access to for almost 2 more weeks so if there's a way to recover my files sooner and kill this upload task, that would be amazing.

I had the same thing happen to me. I unchecked the iCloud Drive Settings and then rebooted. When it came back up, it was still trying to upload the files. I think the process was called "bird". You can check in the Activity Monitor. Once I dragged all the files out of the /iCloud Folder (local) back to my documents, then I let it percolate and things ended up being okay.

I think Apple needs to put a bit more of a delay in that (e.g. maybe two acceptance boxes). When I clicked on the yes box, I completely forgot that I had several gigs of files in both my corporate and personal Dropbox folders as well as my Onedrive folder. It was the Ondrive yakking at me saying the "default folder has moved" that tipped me off to what was going on. Moving those folders created a bit of a "***" moment. It's all good and the experiece I hope will help others as well as Apple really understand the complexity of moving the contents of the Documents folder to the cloud.

hey, I think there is a way to restore deleted file from iCloud. You can find that option by logging into iCloud from the browser and go to setting. Then you will see restore files. However, the files are only kept for some days (I am not sure how long) before it is permanently removed. Good luck.

It's a bit disappointing reading this every year with every beta. People... if you read this and have not yet installed beta 1 then don't do it. At least don't install it on your primary machine, on your primary hard drive, with your primary apple id and never do it without making an disk image before. (Like with superduper or similar software).

I have confirmed that it works after I realized that most of my systems will choke on all the extra files, until they are all updated. Since a bunch of stuff breaks (Mail plug ins and my beloved AirFoil), I only have Sierra running on one partition of my Mac Pro.

Great! When i force quit "bird" on my Activity Monitor (which was using 99.7% of my CPU), it stopped the transfer and apps stopped crashing immediately on the Open / Save dialogs. It of course restarted the transfer, but now its actually progressing. I also followed advice from yellowchilli and rechecked the box and now my files re-appeared on my Desktop and in my Documents.

The same thing happened to me when I changed my apple id email account. Everything went haywire and icloud deleted my desktop and documents folders. However, when I go into "all my files" in finder, all of the files that used to be on my desktop are in the all my files section.

On SystemPreferences/iCloud/iCloud Drive/Options, I checked the "Desktop a Document Folder". After several hours, all of my D&D files appeared top be on iCloud. However, the disk usage (Unix command du) showed that my mac's disk usage had not changed. Based on further reading, I decided that I didn't want D&D on iCloud, so I copied (or moved?) the files from iCloud Drive to my mac. When I thought they were there, I unchecked SystemPreferences/iCloud/iCloud Drive/Options/ "Desktop a Document Folder". Presto! my files were gone. Both places. Only aliases remained on my mac that couldn't be resolved.

I tried the "restore" trick mentioned by another poster, above. iCloud Drive said it was trying to restore 1,000 files (a small fraction of what I had had), but reported problems doing so. None the less, many of those files were restored, without the directory structure; that is, they were simply dumped into one folder.

I don't understand iCloud Drive, despite reading several articles by Apple and others. I dont' even know how to go about understanding what it did to my file system (after 35 years of programming on UNIX).

iCloud is an absolutely disgrace. As a software developer myself, I would feel totally ashamed to have produced a piece of software, like this. I use XCode, and iCloud kept deleting project files and reverting files back to previous versions. In the end I just copied all my XCode project folders into my home directory, which is unaffected by iCloud. I didn't dare turn iCloud off, after all the horror stories I have heard. My advice, is only use iCloud for things like Word/Text Documents or documents you don't mind losing...

I formatted my external HDD by mistake. This software -drill-3-brings-file-recovery-tools-to-mac-hard-drives recover all my lost data, but it is just free to recover 1gb data, any way, it is money worthy. I've looked for some programs, but all they seem to do nothing, but this software works perfectly.

Hi guys i Think i found out where you can get all the data back (and i dont know why apple would do somthing like this as it is soo stupid) when you chosse to back up your files on icloud (Which i will never do again in the future) a sperate folder is made on you mac calles "icloud Drive (Archive)" it is located in Users > " your computer user name" > iCLoud Drive (Archive) - here you should find all your files that were just deleted ! (well at least i did)

I have posted this in the Apple forums, but thought I would try this community as well. I am on a Windows 11 computer, using Outlook 365. I am able to install iCloud successfully, and log into the client. When I try to set up iCloud for Outlook, so I can see my family calendar along side my work calendar, I get the following error:

I have nothing showing in my log files in regard to errors. I have researched online, and have tried everything I can find. I've uninstalled and re-installed, used an older version, removed all files from the AppData folder related to iCloud, etc. I have been able to set up the software successfully on one of my other computers, however, it is this one that is causing this issue.

In July this above fix stopped working due to an update and the only way I found to fix it at the time was to completely uninstall and reinstall iCloud, starting with manually removing the iCloud outlook add-in. But that takes hours, removes all iCloud data from the system, and then re-syncs. And I had to do it three times. Way too much effort.

Then this past week iCloud forgot its password for outlook synchronizing again, and I wasn't willing to uninstall and reinstall again, so I kept fiddling around until a new set of steps revealed itself. This one is just five minutes, and hopefully it will work moving forward. That may sound overly optimistic, but looking at the steps in hindsight, they now make sense.

You're welcome.

One more set of tips before you/we giveup:

a) Open an elevated command prompt (run-as administrator), then running the command "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restoreHealth" and then when that is done, "SFC /scannow". Then reboot. This will find and fix any operating system files that need to be udpated or are corrupted.
b) Do a full online repair for Microsoft Office. Then reboot.
c) And then remove/replace the outlook add-in as per the 15 steps above.

That will make sure all of your Windows and MSOffice files are up to date and properly configured before you remove and replace the Outlook add-in. It may fix the issue. Or, if it doesn't fix it, at least you'll know that the problem isn't Windows or Office.

It's definitely frustrating. Even moreso because it's just this one add-in / .dll for outlook that is losing its credentials -- everything else in iCloud for windows works fine for me without any intervention.

Personally, I like Windows more than OS X. But... I do look on with envy as my friend with a Mac has everything work seamlessly, including contacts, photos, iMessage chat, facetime, and even copy/paste between devices. It's astounding to watch.

Good luck.

ff7609af8f