Using source files from one target into another

Nikola Janevski

Jun 16, 2017, 12:40:59 PM6/16/17
to gyp-developer
Hi,

Is it possible to use source files from one target in another in the same file. Here is an example:
{
  'target_name': 'hello',
  'sources': [
    'kitty.cc',
  ],
  'target_name': 'hello_another_compiler',
  'actions': [
{
 'action_name': 'make_hello_another_compiler',
 'inputs': [
'<hello@sources'
 ],
 'outputs': ['hello_another_compiler.exe'],
 'action': [
'compile.bat',
'<(inputs)',
 ],
},
  ]
}

I want to reuse the sources specified in the first target as inputs for the custom action in the second target. That way I don't need to have duplicate copies of the filenames. The line in red is ideally something what I am looking for. I can just say "use the sources from the target hello". If not is there another way to achieve this in gyp? My goal is not to duplicate the files because it makes life harder for people that need to maintain it.

Thanks,
Nikola

Refael Ackermann

Jun 16, 2017, 12:49:30 PM6/16/17
to gyp-developer
Going on intuition (as in, not tested, but I think I've seen it work somewhere):
Define the list as a variable, then reuse it as much as you want.

Dirk Pranke

Jun 16, 2017, 1:26:20 PM6/16/17
to Refael Ackermann, gyp-developer
Yup, do that :).

-- Dirk

--

---

Nikola Janevski

Jun 16, 2017, 2:19:43 PM6/16/17
to gyp-developer, ref...@gmail.com
I tried that but I think I am not assigning the variables correctly cause I am getting an error when building.

For my example above let's say I did this:
'variables': {
  'source_files': ['hello.cc, 'kitty.cc']
},
'targets': [
{
  'target_name': 'hello',
  'sources':'<(source_files)',
}
{
  'target_name': 'hello_another_compiler',
  'actions': [
{
  'action_name': 'make_hello_another_compiler',
  'inputs': '<(source_files)'
  'outputs': ['hello_another_compiler.exe'],
  'action': [
'compile.bat',
'<(inputs)',
  ],
},
  ]
}
]

I am getting a problem with my compilation that wasn't there before. I am guessing that either I am not assigning it correctly or maybe not even declaring it correctly.

Nikola Janevski

Jun 16, 2017, 2:33:16 PM6/16/17
to gyp-developer, ref...@gmail.com
The error I am getting when doing git runhooks is:
TypeError: can only concatenate list (not "str") to list

If I use the original list instead of the variable (in this line  'sources':'<(source_files)',) it works.

Refael Ackermann

Jun 16, 2017, 2:47:40 PM6/16/17
to Nikola Janevski, gyp-developer

'variables': {