GWT Page size increase from ModalDialog

Jayant

Aug 29, 2007, 4:15:06 PM8/29/07
to GWT Tk
Hello,

I am trying to reduce size of my gwt pages and made following
observation. If I reference ModalDialog the size of the gwt generated
page increases by about 21 kb. I have multiple modules and some of
them do not require the modal dialog. Their size was increasing
because one of the common class uses modal dialog. When I made a copy
of that class without the modal dialog, because other modules require
modal dialog, the size of some the modules reduced by 21kb.

Is this an expected increase due to ModalDialog? Is this a large
increase? I use a few other tk classes. Are there any specific tips
about expected page size additions?

My pages are getting quite large and I am looking for every corner to
reduce the size.

Thanks,
-Jayant.

Mat Gessel

Sep 2, 2007, 10:24:08 PM9/2/07
to gwt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jayant,

I have not paid much attention to the size of the generated JavaScript
in my projects. However, the size increase you report does not
surprise me. ModalDialog relies on a number of custom classes. For
example, RowPanel and the Controller framework.

FWIW, I have kept with the best practice of coding browser-specific
details in "Impl" classes which are constructed via the deferred
binding mechanism. This ensures each browser's script does not contain
code branches meant for other browsers.

-= Mat

Jayant

Oct 4, 2007, 12:38:45 PM10/4/07
to GWT Tk
Hello Mat,

Thanks. I believe I have managed to get the size under control now. We
are facing a couple of issues with Glass Panel but I will post a
different message for that.

Thanks again,
-Jayant.