GWT 2.5.1 ?

Thomas Broyer

Nov 22, 2012, 5:27:11 AM11/22/12
to gwt-st...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

2.5.0 introduced a bunch of regressions, mostly in GWT-RPC. I think we should plan a 2.5.1 release addressing at least a few of them. Here's a quick recap:
  1. CRITICAL: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/google/gwt/core/client/GWTBridge https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=7527
  2. Already fixed in trunk: GWT-RPC: covariant array types calculated inconsistently https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=7791
  3. Deserialization cycling (freeze) caused by object hierarchy with generics https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=7779
  4. java.util.logging.Level regression in GWT 2.5.0 missing constructor Level(String, int) https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=7752
To shorten the QA phase and release ASAP, I think we should only deal with regressions here, though we might want to include a few other harmless commits. I'm thinking about https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/detail?r=11381 in particular, but there might be a few others:
I can fix issues 7527 and 7752 but I don't have enough knowledge of RPC internals to fix issue 7779 (or it would demand me too much time, that I prefer to dedicate to the mavenization).

Christian Goudreau

Nov 22, 2012, 9:05:36 AM11/22/12
to gwt-st...@googlegroups.com
I'm always amazed by your involvement in GWT Thomas and every time you seem to surprise me a little bit more!

I think all of the issues above could be added to the release you're suggesting, are the changes for the client -> shared already done?

Cheers,

Christian Goudreau | CEO - Président
M: 1.877.635.1585 | S: christian.goudreau

Thomas Broyer

Nov 22, 2012, 12:26:03 PM11/22/12
to gwt-st...@googlegroups.com

https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/1260

--
Thomas Broyer
/tɔ.ma.bʁwa.je/

Daniel Kurka

Nov 23, 2012, 11:00:50 AM11/23/12
to gwt-st...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

I think doing a GWT 2.5.1 to solve some of the regressions is a very good idea.

What can I do to help?

-Daniel

Bhaskar Janakiraman

Nov 28, 2012, 12:08:32 PM11/28/12
to gwt-st...@googlegroups.com
I support this too. Do we want to do this as a first 'community' release of GWT? If yes, we need more discussion.

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Daniel Kurka <kurka....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Thomas,

I think doing a GWT 2.5.1 to solve some of the regressions is a very good idea.

What can I do to help?

-Daniel

There's a number of things that need to get done to make this happen:
1. Identify a release coordinator, whose job it is to ensure we are on track, create the branches, ping people to see where they are etc.
2. Create a spreadsheet with issues/patches that we have included or plan to include in the release.
3. Decision process on how/who decides what should go into the release,
4. Schedule for the release, including cut-off dates for fixes.
5. Someone designated to build the release candidates and send it out for evaluation.
6. Change from RC1 or RC2 to final, decision/criteria
7. Documentation, announcements.

I think this is a good thing for gwt-steering to tackle, and get us moving on defining the process. We should discuss it at the next meeting.

Bhaskar

Thomas Broyer

Nov 28, 2012, 12:28:33 PM11/28/12
to gwt-st...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Bhaskar Janakiraman
<bjanak...@google.com> wrote:
> I support this too. Do we want to do this as a first 'community' release of
> GWT? If yes, we need more discussion.
>
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Daniel Kurka <kurka....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> I think doing a GWT 2.5.1 to solve some of the regressions is a very good
>> idea.
>>
>> What can I do to help?
>>
>> -Daniel
>

> There's a number of things that need to get done to make this happen:
> 1. Identify a release coordinator, whose job it is to ensure we are on
> track, create the branches, ping people to see where they are etc.

That must be someone from Google for now: the canonical repo is still
yours, and I don't think anyone outside Google has the authorizations
to do the final publishing process (to code.google.com and to Maven).
If that's a problem, maybe we could have a pair of coordinators: one
inside Google in charge of the technical tasks, and one outside for
everything else.

> 2. Create a spreadsheet with issues/patches that we have included or plan to
> include in the release.
> 3. Decision process on how/who decides what should go into the release,
> 4. Schedule for the release, including cut-off dates for fixes.
> 5. Someone designated to build the release candidates and send it out for
> evaluation.
> 6. Change from RC1 or RC2 to final, decision/criteria
> 7. Documentation, announcements.
>
> I think this is a good thing for gwt-steering to tackle, and get us moving
> on defining the process. We should discuss it at the next meeting.

+1, which brings us back to: we need to schedule a meeting! ;-)

--
Thomas Broyer
/tɔ.ma.bʁwa.je/

Daniel Kurka

Dec 9, 2012, 8:43:11 AM12/9/12
to gwt-st...@googlegroups.com
If no one else wants to take this on I would volunteer to coordinate this new release.

I think coordination can still happen without access for the final publishing, but we should be discussing this in a meeting. How about getting this up on and running before christmas? How about this week sometime  in the morning for PST and late afternoon for europe?

-Daniel

2012/11/28 Thomas Broyer <t.br...@gmail.com>

--
Thomas Broyer
/tɔ.ma.bʁwa.je/

Christian Goudreau

Dec 9, 2012, 8:47:45 AM12/9/12
to gwt-st...@googlegroups.com

I'll free my schedule whatever the time, count me in!

Thomas Broyer

Dec 10, 2012, 7:27:52 AM12/10/12
to gwt-st...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 2:43:11 PM UTC+1, Daniel Kurka wrote:
How about getting this up on and running before christmas?

Would be great. I'd rather release a tiny incremental release ASAP than try to put "nice to have" things in.

How about this week sometime  in the morning for PST and late afternoon for europe?

Works for me. Preferably not Thursday but I can easily adapt if needed.