GWT Mosaic 2.0 M2 is out

georgopoul...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2010, 9:49:07 AM9/19/10
to gwt-mosaic
Hi all,

this is the first release for testing purposes of GWT Mosaic 2g:

http://code.google.com/p/gwt-mosaic/wiki/GWTMosaic2g

GWT Mosaic 2g will use a scene graph (not exactly a port of GRIN like
in http://code.google.com/p/gwt-grin/ but more like JavaFx).

With this version you can experiment with the scene graph, and the new
binding framework:

http://code.google.com/p/gwt-mosaic/wiki/BindingBasics

Also new is the Data Binding library which provides classes to access
a database similar to JBuilder's DBExpress or Delphi:

http://code.google.com/p/gwt-mosaic/wiki/DataBinding

A few very basic data-aware widgets are also ready for testing, like:
DBLabel, DBTextBox, DBListBox and DBLookupListBox.

See: http://code.google.com/p/gwt-mosaic/wiki/DataBinding2
Demo: http://mosaic.arkasoft.com/data-binding/

Kind Regards,
George.

George Georgopoulos

Sep 23, 2010, 6:12:02 PM9/23/10
to gwt-mosaic
Hi,

just a preview of a simple fixed sized layout build with GWT Mosaic 2g

http://mosaic.arkasoft.com/preview/

the code:

http://pastebin.org/1129997

so far no coding pattern and no advanced controls, it uses only Box and Text.

Kind Regards,
George.

notcourage

Oct 4, 2010, 9:02:26 PM10/4/10
to gwt-mosaic
Your plan is to retire the old gwt Mosaic?

Curious as to why you decided to replace gwt Beans Binding.

On Sep 23, 3:12 pm, George Georgopoulos
<georgopoulos.georg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a preview of a simple fixed sized layout build with GWT Mosaic 2g
>
> http://mosaic.arkasoft.com/preview/
>
> the code:
>
> http://pastebin.org/1129997
>
> so far no coding pattern and no advanced controls, it uses only Box and
> Text.
>
> Kind Regards,
> George.
>
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM, georgopoulos.georg...@gmail.com <
>

> georgopoulos.georg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > this is the first release for testing purposes of GWT Mosaic 2g:
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/gwt-mosaic/wiki/GWTMosaic2g
>
> > GWT Mosaic 2g will use a scene graph (not exactly a port of GRIN like
> > inhttp://code.google.com/p/gwt-grin/but more like JavaFx).

notcourage

Oct 4, 2010, 9:03:51 PM10/4/10
to gwt-mosaic
The preview prompts for:
username
password
control token

On Sep 23, 3:12 pm, George Georgopoulos
<georgopoulos.georg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a preview of a simple fixed sized layout build with GWT Mosaic 2g
>
> http://mosaic.arkasoft.com/preview/
>
> the code:
>
> http://pastebin.org/1129997
>
> so far no coding pattern and no advanced controls, it uses only Box and
> Text.
>
> Kind Regards,
> George.
>
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM, georgopoulos.georg...@gmail.com <
>

> georgopoulos.georg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > this is the first release for testing purposes of GWT Mosaic 2g:
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/gwt-mosaic/wiki/GWTMosaic2g
>
> > GWT Mosaic 2g will use a scene graph (not exactly a port of GRIN like
> > inhttp://code.google.com/p/gwt-grin/but more like JavaFx).

George Georgopoulos

Oct 5, 2010, 1:43:50 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

After gwt 2.1 comes out except of the layout system I think there is no reason to use GWT Mosaic. They have MVP, an application module, data binding integrated to UiBinder and tables. There is not very much room left for extensions like mosaic. Missing are still the Actions and property binding (I mean beans binding).

The new mosaic library is totally different, it can be still usefull for GWT developers, since you can add effects into your applications very easy and it  will provide a new layout system design similar to JavaFx, so that effects do not disturb the layout manager.

About the old mosaic library I think its better to wait until GWT 2.1 comes out and see which features are still useful to maintain.

About beans binding, the problem is that there is no EL (expression language) support. The purpose I ported beans binding was to make building GWT applications similar to NetBeans, and because there exists a lot of tutorials. But as you already know beans binding development stopped. And maybe NetBeans will switch to JavaFx binding (but, I am not sure about that).

JavaFx is using binding almost for everything, especially for layouts. The new bindings library is very small and allows you to use custom Getter and Setter methods (work around for EL) that makes things very easy, see this example:

Screenshot: http://imagebin.org/116525
Code: http://pastebin.com/Md8Ra8Ta

To test this binding library I started also the data binding library in mosaic 2g that will provide a classes for building DB applications similar to Delphi DB controls or JBuilder.

About the demo application, this is my current project for a client, its related with blu-ray players. I uploaded a small video in youtube to see how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ggeorg?feature=mhum&hl=el

Part of it I will publish as a demo for GWT Mosaic 2g.

Kind Regards,
George.

Heiko Braun

Oct 5, 2010, 3:26:17 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com

Does that mean you retain the LayoutMangers in 2g?

Regards, Heiko

George Georgopoulos

Oct 5, 2010, 6:33:17 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heiko,

2g will have its own layout manargers that are part of the scene graph. But you can use still use a LayoutPanel from 0.4 (lets say mosaic 1) or any other Widget from GWT or GXT (I didn't test SmartGWT but why not).

Mosaic 2g is using a new package: org.gwt.mosaic2g so there will be no problem to use both mosaic 1 & 2 in the same project.

About mosaic 1 I am still thinking of a light version with only the layout system. And using both is just  a matter of an adapter class, like:

        loginFormC = new Control(show, 450, 250) {
            @Override
            protected Widget createWidget() {
                final LoginForm result = new LoginForm();
                updateWidget(result, true);
                return result;
            }
        };
        loginFormC.setStyleName("loginFormC");

Here is another example of a Panel used in screne graph:

http://mosaic.arkasoft.com/Demo03/

with tarnsition and fade effects.

For my current project use mary/blue to login (any control token will work), but I will change that very soon.

Demo: http://mosaic.arkasoft.com/Demo03/

To get out from the playback screen (since that screen waits for video end events) just click the reload button in the browser.

But, all this is still in testing phase, so please send comment (this is why I started writing wiki pages). A demo application will follow soon.

Kind Regards,
George.

George Georgopoulos

Oct 5, 2010, 6:36:27 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com
sorry, the correct link for my demo is: http://mosaic.arkasoft.com/preview/

Heiko Braun

Oct 5, 2010, 6:54:25 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com

nice 80's colors ;)

George Georgopoulos

Oct 5, 2010, 7:05:27 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com
its sesame street

Papick G. Taboada

Oct 5, 2010, 1:53:21 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com
I will be missing the mosaic form builders.

Brgds

Papick

George Georgopoulos

Oct 5, 2010, 8:06:30 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com
ok, one vote (+1) for gwt-mosaic light (only layouts)

Duong BaTien

Oct 5, 2010, 10:20:25 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi George:

Learning from past experience, I suggest that:

1) keep the core value-add to GWT-2.1 as clean as possible; in
gwt-mosaic it means GRIN and GWT bare metal.

2) leverage as much as possible core heavy lifting from Google; in your
below prototype, it means user token on top of Google UserService with
OpenID+OAuth and possible Google Friend Connect (GFC) on top of the
Contacts Application plus web user profile integrated with Personal
Basis Profile from scene-graph technology.

3) assure evolutiuonary path of selected value-added technologies; in
gwt-mosaic it means evolutionary path from gwt event bus with Tibbco
PageBus, etc in your Contacts sample.

Best wishes and look forward to your significant value-adds.

Duong BaTien
DBGROUPS and BudhNet

Duong BaTien

Oct 5, 2010, 10:41:31 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi George:

Wow, I have interest in having TV programs broadcasted to GWT page via
Internet.

Duong BaTien
DBGROUPS and BudhNet

> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/gwt-mosaic?hl=en.
>

> --

> +unsub...@googlegroups.com.

George Georgopoulos

Oct 5, 2010, 11:29:51 AM10/5/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com
:-) the application is for broadcasting to BD players, but the demo I plan for mosaic will use the HTML5 <video>

George Georgopoulos

Oct 6, 2010, 2:52:56 PM10/6/10
to gwt-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

just an example of the HBox layout manager:

demo screenshot: http://imagebin.org/117285
code: http://pastebin.com/PVAjbkai

It is more advanced than the old BoxLayout and it is similar to the <hbox> mozilla XUL layout manager.

A demo of the XUL <hbox> layout manager can be found in gwt-mosaic-xul showcase (see the Box Layout demo):

http://mosaic.arkasoft.com/gwt-mosaic-xul/

All features of <hbox> except 'direction' are implemented. Instead of the 'align' and 'pack' attributes the GWT interfaces HasAutoHorizontalAlignemnt and HasVerticalAlignment are used (RTL is supported).

The code for the layout manager is:

http://code.google.com/p/gwt-mosaic/source/browse/trunk/src/org/gwt/mosaic2g/client/scene/layout/HBox.java

The VBox will be similar, and the Grid layout will be based on those two layout managers, similar to mozilla's XUL <grid> element:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XUL_Tutorial/Grids

The Grid layout will be the simplified FormLayout for mosaic 2g.

Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks,
George.