Logging to find HTTP 405 errors

Kevin L

Apr 29, 2013, 6:32:16 PM4/29/13
to gwt-di...@googlegroups.com
We're getting HTTP status 405 (with message: method GET is not supported by this URL) errors in our production environment when sending actions to the dispatch. This is weird because (correct me if I'm wrong) GWT Dispatch only uses the POST method. I'm suspecting that the load balancing server we're using is changing the method somehow when redirecting requests to different servers but we're not certain as we can't find where this setting is. Also, we don't get these errors when development environment running on a single server.

I don't think GWT Dispatch is the problem but I was wondering if there's a way to capture and log the request coming out of the client when a dispatch is made to make sure it's a POST in the HTTP header. That way, we can narrow where the issue is coming from.

Thanks!

Paul Illingworth

Apr 30, 2013, 4:41:40 AM4/30/13
to gwt-di...@googlegroups.com
You may find something is redirecting using status code 302 or 303 which can change the the HTTP method to a GET. If you can configure whatever it is you could try redirecting using 307 which does not change the HTTP method. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_302).

If you are using Firefox with the Firebug plugin you can monitor all the network traffic in an out of the browser. Chrome and IE10 can also do this without any additional plugins, not sure about < IE10. You'll also be able to see how the browser is handling any redirects. If that is not sufficeint  you could always try a tool like Fiddler2 that acts as a proxy between the browser and web that intercepts and monitors all traffic and can be used to modify it in either direction.

--

---

Kevin L

Apr 30, 2013, 8:20:16 PM4/30/13
to gwt-di...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the post! We used Firebug to see that the load balancing server was redirecting using 302.