Auto Expand Pushdown ad similar to New York Times expandable ads

Kevin

Oct 5, 2015, 12:59:11 PM10/5/15
to Google Web Designer beta
I'm having a difficult time getting my pushdown expandable ad to expand correctly.  My finalized version of the code works perfectly when I test it in browsers however, when I upload to DoubleClick Studio and test in the Step 4 "Preview" section the ad expands fine except the container does not expand.

I'm implementing the auto expand in the Web Designer.app using the "Events" panel.

Looks like the ad itself expands fine but only behind the wrapping div in Studio: http://take.ms/erFyz

Is there an Enabler method/function call I'm missing to initialize the Studio expand?

Thanks

Google Web Designer beta

Oct 5, 2015, 1:12:01 PM10/5/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Kevin,

The issue has already been logged internally and we are doing the investigation.

In mean time, there is a workaround you can try:
1) in Studio, go to Step 4 Preview
2) expand "Display properties" in the left hand side panel
3) manually set the expanding dimensions (Expanding width and Expanding height)

Let us know if works for you or not.

Thanks,
Emily (GWD Team)

Kevin

Oct 5, 2015, 3:30:26 PM10/5/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Tried that and still nothing.

Here is a screenshot: http://take.ms/EgF3f

ewschang

Oct 5, 2015, 3:47:11 PM10/5/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Kevin,

Can you try again? After manually setting the expanding dimensions, please click on the Save button to save the changes:

Thanks,

Emily (GWD Team)

Kevin

Oct 5, 2015, 3:59:03 PM10/5/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Yup, I made sure I saved it.  Doesn't seem to change anything.

ewschang

Oct 5, 2015, 4:14:18 PM10/5/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Kevin,

Did you use our templates to create the ad? We would like to take a look at your files. Can you post the link to your Studio creative preview here? Or can you attach your GWD file (before published) to this post?

Thanks,
Emily (GWD Team)

Kevin

Oct 5, 2015, 4:20:05 PM10/5/15
to Google Web Designer beta
No.  I created a new file (http://take.ms/0spNq), custom dimensions (970x90 - 970x415) expandable.  For testing, I just build a simple one with only a backup image and a click through url.  Published to Studio straight from the GWD.app.  Wen into Studio, specified the dimensions, checked "pushdown", and clicked Save.  Still getting the same issue.

thanks

Kevin

Oct 5, 2015, 4:50:55 PM10/5/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Here is a different version: https://www.google.com/doubleclick/studio/externalpreview/#/CYnMgyuhT8OfpZpBTYxXGA?creativeId=37540642

I used a template from the Rich Media Gallery I found some time ago.  i'm pretty sure it is antiquated code but it does what I want it to.  Too bad I can't load it up in GWD.app and build on top of it.

Kevin

Oct 5, 2015, 6:02:17 PM10/5/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Thoughts?

ewschang

Oct 5, 2015, 7:13:12 PM10/5/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the links. So I take a look at the files and the sample from the Rich Media Gallery... it looks like that you want to see the expanded page open first when the Ad is loaded, right? Unfortunately, the Ad Initialized event in your file does not work well in Studio Preview because in Studio it displays in the banner page size when the banner page is set as the primary page. I will check with our developers to find how to make the Ad Initialized event work.

There might be a workaround for you. In your file, I set the expanded page to be the primary page and uncheck the Expanded checkbox in PI. Then on the banner page, I check the Expanded checkbox in PI. So now the two pages are switched. When publish to Studio, I see the expanded page show up first in correct dimension. Can you check out the attached sample file?

Thanks,
Emily (GWD Team)
expandpagefirst.zip

Kevin

Oct 6, 2015, 9:33:30 AM10/6/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Thank you.
There might be a workaround for you...

I tried this earlier.  I made the collapsed page 415px and the expaded page 90px which seemed to work fine until I trafficked to DFP.  DFP doesn't allow expandable with a collapsed state to be this large.

Kevin

Oct 6, 2015, 9:47:57 AM10/6/15
to Google Web Designer beta
In your file, I set the expanded page to be the primary page and uncheck the Expanded checkbox in PI. Then on the banner page, I check the Expanded checkbox in PI

How's did you do this?  Did you change all the html classes?

What does PI stand for?

The sample file looks good, I uploaded the finalized file(s) to Studio and I'm getting more of the same.

Kevin

Oct 6, 2015, 12:43:18 PM10/6/15
to Google Web Designer beta

ewschang

Oct 6, 2015, 4:40:52 PM10/6/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Kevin,

I have checked with our developer. The way to show the Expanded page is by just changing the "default-page" attribute on gwd-pagedeck element to "expanded-page". There is no need for the Ad Initialized event handler in your file.

So can you again with a new file?

1) Create a new Expandable Ad file for DoubleClick environment:
- banner page size: 970x90
- expanded page size: 970x415

2) Set Expanded page to be the primary page (the default page):

3) Save the file and Publish to Studio

4) Go to Studio UI, check the dimension for the Expanding Ad size. If it is showing 970x90, change it to the size of the expanded state (970x415), it should look like this:

Can you try these steps and see if the preview is working for you?

Thanks,
Emily (GWD Team)

vaibhav...@corp.india.com

Nov 2, 2015, 7:01:14 AM11/2/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Team,

We have built expandable banner in GWD but it does not appears properly on Mozilla Firefox.

Banner when loaded on Mozilla FF appears a blank page with a close button before actual display. Below attach is the screenshot for your reference. Kindly let us know the issue.

Jaz

Nov 2, 2015, 6:42:25 PM11/2/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Vaibhav,

I was unable to see a screenshot, can you please attach it again?

thx
jaz
Program Manager, Google Web Designer

Vaibhav Sinare

Nov 18, 2015, 6:13:01 AM11/18/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Jaz Sir,

Please check the below screen shot.
its expandable banner white patch on site with close button please check.

i am attach again the screen shot.

Please help me sir.

and please mail me what is exact issue.

mail id is vaibhav.s...@gmail.com

Regards,
Vaibhav
white_Patch.png

Jaz

Nov 18, 2015, 4:25:40 PM11/18/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Vaibhav,

Thank you for re-attaching your original screenshot. It's a bit difficult to tell what has gone wrong here and if you do not have a pop-up blocker, then it would be an issue with the ad I assume. Can you please attach the unpublished version of your file for us to review? We can take a look at the code and see if we can figure out the issue.

thx
Jasmine

Vaibhav Sinare

Nov 23, 2015, 4:54:29 AM11/23/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Jaz Sir,

Please check attached file.

That file are unpublished files.

Regards,
Vaibhav.
pushdown.7z
PUBLISHED.rar

Vaibhav Sinare

Dec 4, 2015, 3:45:51 AM12/4/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Jasmine,

Please check attached file it is unpublished version and please tell me what is exact issue in the code.

Regards,
Vaibhav.
PUBLISHED.rar

Vaibhav Sinare

Dec 4, 2015, 3:46:43 AM12/4/15
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Jasmine,

please update me as soon as possible.

Regards,
Vaibhav.

i.ole...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2016, 9:41:45 AM11/24/16
to Google Web Designer beta
Meanwhile bug with FireFox and white patch still alive((