Feature Request: Support Custom Font use in GWD

Asim Khan

May 4, 2016, 3:56:00 AM5/4/16
to Google Web Designer beta
I want to add custom fonts using GWD advance mode but once it publishes the files, it removes the font path.

console error
Failed to decode downloaded font: file:///Users/.../index.html
index.html:1 OTS parsing error: invalid version tag

latest how can we add custom fonts in GWD with the latest Version: 1.6.0.0429 ?

andre...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2016, 3:03:02 AM6/28/16
to Google Web Designer beta
same here...

Jeff Topping

Jan 9, 2018, 4:57:54 PM1/9/18
to Google Web Designer beta
any enlightenment here? I'd love to know how to use fonts other than google fonts. I'd like to be able to create html ads that use fonts that match the brand im working on.
I've read how to create a .ttf font and include it in the assets folder. I assume when i upload these to double click they will be hosted fine.
but im more curious about the design stage, where i need to find a way to allow the custom fonts i need, to be accessible in the font menu. does this require coding (CSS)? any tutorials?

Jaz

Jan 18, 2018, 4:48:17 PM1/18/18
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

I'm actually meeting with our font experts in 45 minutes to discuss this! I'll then bring my suggestions to our Google Web Designer Eng Mgr and Product Lead. We definitely understand the need to use custom fonts. A question on this, how do you source the fonts? Are they given to you by the agency with the license (so that you are aware of any license restrictions)? Do you buy the font, or download a free font? Any particular sites you prefer to use? Is .ttf the font format you typically use, or are you looking for .eot, woff, woff2 support as well? Insight into usage will be a huge factor in determining our next steps, so thank you for writing in!

thx!
jaz
Program Manager
Google Web Designer

Jeff Topping

Jan 24, 2018, 9:32:21 AM1/24/18
to Google Web Designer beta
hi, we have a huge library of fonts. We either purchase new ones if we need them or they are supplied by our partners and clients. We understand licensing and always acquire legit fonts if we need them.
But, bottom line is i have real fonts in hand to use. We access lots of font houses. some fonts are a bit kooky and are freeware created by other artists and hosted on design resource sites. We also use typekit from adobe which we are a subscriber of.
I have a variety of file times from OTF, TTF, PS.... i used a converter to turn an otf into in a ttf the other day. A tuturial i was following said that was what was needed for the code hack.

Jaz

Jan 24, 2018, 12:59:55 PM1/24/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Thanks very much Jeff for the detail! I'm looking in to this now and will post on the forum once I have an update. I'm hoping to propose a solution to our team very soon.

william.w...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2018, 6:10:53 AM4/30/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Jaz, have you made any progress here? I'm in a similar situation as Jeff where I need to apply the right font for the brand within my GWD ads.

San Khong

May 17, 2018, 7:52:10 PM5/17/18
to Google Web Designer beta
If you use Doubleclick, you should be able to use custom font in your creative, but no support for custom fonts in AdWords.

San
Google Web Designer team