GWD Lightbox: Primary asset is 85k

sab...@droga5.com

Mar 13, 2017, 4:43:31 PM3/13/17
to Google Web Designer beta
I have no idea how it's possible, but Studio is giving me an alert that the primary asset (my index.html) is 85k. I built my file from the GWD Lightbox to fullscreen w/ YouTube video template. The kicker is that locally, the file is 36k. No idea where the discrepancy is coming from - any ideas?

Dale Fenton

Mar 15, 2017, 5:32:20 PM3/15/17
to Google Web Designer beta
This usually happens when you select the "Inline local files (.js and .css)" option during publishing and is also affected by the CSS Prefix options for WebKit and Mozilla. What's happening is that your css is getting much larger because of all the prefixes and all the components you use in your banner are being bundled into the main index.html file.

Often I just end up not checking the Inline local files option and that gets me below the 75k threshold on Studio, but leaves a lot of files in your project. If you don't like that, you can publish a version locally, and take all the CSS out of your index.html and paste it into a style.css that you link inside the index.html file. Then zip up that local copy and drop it into studio manually.

It would be ideal if they added a box that let you split all the CSS into a separate file since that is usually what actually has the bulk of the file size with the way GWD builds its animations out. I'd also really like to see an option that bundles all CSS and all JS into separate files so that the folder structure of the published project had an index.html with just the markup, and then a style.css and main.js

sab...@droga5.com

Mar 16, 2017, 10:34:18 AM3/16/17
to Google Web Designer beta
Well that is just... it would be great if GWD was optimized to produce ads that more seamlessly within the parameters of the Studio platform. Shouldn't the default setting be that GWD outputs a primary asset that doesn't trigger file-size warnings on Studio?

Dale Fenton

Mar 16, 2017, 10:37:55 AM3/16/17
to Google Web Designer beta
I agree that it would be nice if GWD optimized the ad for Studio's constraints when uploading to Studio, but this is what you get with software that's in Beta. Another really nice feature would be a way to add a backup image to the project that would upload automatically when publishing.