web font design

nerijus....@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2015, 6:57:17 AM2/15/15
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi people of good will,

Got a problem designing font for meteo web application.

Tried these apps:

Fontographer 5
Inkscape 0.91
Corel Draw X7
Font Forge

after .ttf created converted to web font using http://onlinefontconverter.com/

Problem is that all of those tools are far from good. Maybe best was Fontographer but somehow scaling font it becomes grainy.

My question is: what tools true web designers use, as I suppose most experiences is participating in this group.

Thank you!

dcros...@google.com

Feb 17, 2015, 2:42:32 PM2/17/15
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

FontForge has been available for about 15 years, so a lot of old releases are around... are you using the most recent release?

Regarding the grainy effect, perhaps the font has lost its TrueType hinting; you could use ttfautohint to add some hinting back.

Cheers
Dave

Sandra Lennon

Mar 4, 2015, 5:25:53 AM3/4/15