me...@meganmadethis.com

Nov 8, 2017, 10:21:32 AM11/8/17
to Google Web Designer beta
Anyone else having some issues with bugginess in High Sierra?

I just upgraded the OS a couple days ago. Since then, I notice that GWD has a tendency to black screen if I open or close the timeline panel, or sometimes when going in/out of code view.

I also set up an ad with four different keyframes in the simple animation mode. I saved it, did some more work. Then when I closed the timeline panel, the program partially black screened.

When I reopened, the animation still happens, but it no longer shows the separate frames in the timeline view, and if I add an additional frame, it breaks the whole animation.

I can log bug reports, but wondered if anyone else is experiencing general bugginess on latest Mac OS.

San Khong

Nov 9, 2017, 6:59:35 PM11/9/17
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi Megan,

I'm sorry you run into this issue. We don't have a blessed version of 10.13 to test on yet. Can you please try disable gpu rendering?

1. Quit Google Web Designer if it's running.
  • On Mac add a Boolean row to ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.WebDesigner.plist with a name disable-gpu-rendering and a value of YES
2. Launch Google Web Designer.

Hope it helps.
San
Google Web Designer team

d.ab...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2017, 1:54:15 AM11/27/17
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi San Khong,

Please Help on Same.

How to add line "disable-gpu-rendering".

Kent Myers

Nov 27, 2017, 11:52:48 AM11/27/17
to Google Web Designer beta
That refers to to editing the .plist file. On a Mac you can use Xcode to do it where you will have an interface to add a row, name it "disable-gpu-rendering" set its type to "boolean" and value of "yes".

Hope that helps,

Kent
Google Web Designer team

San Khong

Nov 27, 2017, 5:06:59 PM11/27/17
to Google Web Designer beta
If you don't have Xcode, you can also try to run this command in Terminal:

defaults write com.google.WebDesigner.plist disable-gpu-rendering -bool true

Thanks,

Gustaf

Dec 22, 2017, 6:36:44 AM12/22/17
to Google Web Designer beta
What if you don't have the ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.WebDesigner.plist?

(hidden files is shows but I can only see a lot of files from apple.

Can you upload it?

Kent

Dec 27, 2017, 11:23:11 AM12/27/17
to Google Web Designer beta
That file should be created automatically when you launch Web Designer. If you do not see yours, then quit and restart Web Designer and you should see the file.

g...@privatsikring.dk

Dec 28, 2017, 3:13:30 AM12/28/17
to Google Web Designer beta
Apparently it was Kaspersky Internet Security on my mac that prevented Google Web Designer to connect to the internet. After I whitelisted the app it worked out just fine :)

peter.h...@baselgovernance.org

Jan 1, 2018, 1:35:52 PM1/1/18
to Google Web Designer beta
I also have problems with using Google Web Designer on High Sierra. Parts of the menu turn black on mouse over and pop-ups (e.g. Event editor) don't show and the software becomes non-responsive. I disabled the GPU rendering as described, but this does not seem to help. I attached a screenshot of the problem.
Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 19.33.44.png

San Khong

Jan 2, 2018, 1:52:34 PM1/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Thank you for letting us know about Kaspersky Internet Security. Can you please let us know before you whitelisted the app, did Google Web Designer load for you at all or did you run into the same issue described in this post with the program partially black screened?

San
Google Web Designer team

g...@privatsikring.dk

Jan 3, 2018, 6:03:39 AM1/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
The program was totally black and didn't load.
This was on a newly installed Mac with iOS High Sierra.

peter.h...@baselgovernance.org

Jan 3, 2018, 6:07:16 AM1/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
BTW: I don't have Kaspersky or any other Virus Scan installed on my Mac, but still encounter issues with GWDs UI (as described in my previous post). Parts of the menu turn black, pop-ups (like the event editor) don't show. Any possibility to resolve this?

Thanks,

Peter

peter.h...@baselgovernance.org

Jan 6, 2018, 1:48:36 AM1/6/18
to Google Web Designer beta
After deleting GWD, deleting the preferences file and re-installing the software runs fine. So - problem solved.

San Khong

Jan 8, 2018, 3:44:15 PM1/8/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Thank you for letting us know Peter. Please let us know if you run into this issue again after using the tool for a while.

San
Google Web Designer team

ukiman

Jul 2, 2018, 5:53:19 PM7/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta
AAAAAAAAA ... it's NOT working. Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5.

What to do?

ukiman

Jul 2, 2018, 5:58:42 PM7/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta

After typing this:

defaults write com.google.WebDesigner.plist disable-gpu-rendering -bool true

there is nothing better. I can only see black screen.

Just for a short second on the right bottom side GWD is trying to download templates ... and that's it.

WHAT TO DO ... ? I NEED TO WORK !!!

San Khong

Jul 2, 2018, 6:23:05 PM7/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Hi ukiman,

Quit Google Web Designer, delete the cache and relaunch it.
  • Windows: HD:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Google Web Designer\data\cache (note: you need to enable “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” in Folder options View tab)
  • Linux: ~/.local/share/google-web-designer/data/cache
  • Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Google/Web Designer/data/cache
Thanks,

ukiman

Jul 2, 2018, 6:39:19 PM7/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta
San,

I don't have any Google / Web Designer folder there. Only Chrome.

It was never possible for me to launch GWD on this (new) MacBook Pro with Radeon Pro 560 4096  MB :(

ukiman

Jul 2, 2018, 6:41:56 PM7/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Does it mean GWD will not run on this machine ... ?

ukiman

Jul 2, 2018, 6:45:23 PM7/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta
One more thing, after typing this into Terminal:

defaults write com.google.WebDesigner.plist disable-gpu-rendering -bool true

the com.google.WebDesigner.plist

starts with this line:

bplist00” _ current_zoom_percentage_ last_known_shell_config_ disable-gpu-rendering d_ ß<?xml version="1.0"?>

I don't have Xcode ...

Should it be like above?

San Khong

Jul 2, 2018, 6:46:15 PM7/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Can you please try quitting Google Web Designer if it's running, and run the following command in Terminal?

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Web\ Designer/data/cache

Thanks,
San
Google Web Designer team

ukiman

Jul 2, 2018, 6:48:02 PM7/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Yes, I have done it. But ..

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Web\ Designer/data/cache

rm: /Users/kungfupanda/Library/Application Support/Google/Web Designer/data/cache: No such file or directory

ukiman

Jul 2, 2018, 6:48:55 PM7/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta

San Khong

Jul 2, 2018, 7:03:53 PM7/2/18
to Google Web Designer beta
You probably already checked but can you please launch again to see if the issue is resolved?

If not, can you please check to see if the log files are created by running the following command:

ls ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Web\ Designer/logs

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 5:47:10 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Hello,

San - no, as I previously wrote, I don't have Web Designer folder in /Library/Application Support/Google/ :(

No Web Designer folder, so no logs and no cache.

I never managed to start GWD - everytime it stops on the black screen with version number and logo - maybe that's why there is no Web Designer folder in this location (files was never created because of interruption of software load).

Anyway - what can I do to fix this and start GWD on my computer?

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 5:48:30 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
And no, this command:

ls ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Web\ Designer/logs

does not work.

... Library/Application Support/Google/Web Designer/logs: No such file or directory

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 6:01:15 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Is it possible that this file com.google.WebDesigner.plist in ~/Library/Preferences/ is causing the problems?

Should I send it to you and you could send it me back? Will it be a solution?

I run in the Terminal this command as you wrote before: defaults write com.google.WebDesigner.plist disable-gpu-rendering -bool true

And now com.google.WebDesigner.plist starts like below (I'm viewing it with Text Edit tool):

bplist00” _ disable-gpu-rendering_ last_known_shell_config_ current_zoom_percentage _ Ė<?xml version="1.0"?>

What a mess, I really need GWD running now :(((

g...@privatsikring.dk

Jul 3, 2018, 6:18:17 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Do you have any antivirus installed? I think my Kaspersky Internet Security did the same. After I disabled it there was no problem.

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 6:23:32 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Hello, thanks ... but it's not this.

I use Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac. I just removed it from the system ... and nothing better. Still, black screen with logo and version.

Please, help ...

g...@privatsikring.dk

Jul 3, 2018, 6:36:41 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Have you tried in Safe Mode?

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 6:43:57 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
I just have.

Nothing else happened besides showing up Google Web Designer logo like on powerpoint presentation (lines up) :(

Still ... black screen ...

I just can't believe ...

g...@privatsikring.dk

Jul 3, 2018, 8:37:21 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Can you try to whitelist the app in Sophos Anti-Virus instead of removing the application?
The missing folder indicates to me, that the problem is related to the app not getting any connection the the internet.

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 8:50:52 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Hello,

yes ... it looks like not having internet connection or some kind of blockage.
For a little second appears on the right bottom corner status bar with downloading templates but just flash and go away. And the black screen freeze.
Is it possible that Mac OS High Sierra doing this problem? On my second computer with almost the same hardware configuration (just the GPU is different ... which I needed to run ... or close my business ... sic!) with Mac OS Sierra everything good.

I have just checked how it works without any internet connection (I just turned off wifi) and it looks like there is a WHITE screen (instead of black one) ...

Unfortunatelly, Sophons does not have a function to add app to whitelist :( but if it was uninstalled, GWD should turn on normally, if it would be a problem with Sophos, right?

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 8:53:09 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
I just hope that guys from Google have just wake up in California and can help me to revive GWD ....

Please ...

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 10:47:38 AM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
@ Google Team - any ideas what is wrong and what can I do?

GWD is for me a tool not a toy ... I need it :(

Thank you.

San Khong

Jul 3, 2018, 1:05:24 PM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Can you please quit Google Web Designer, delete the plist file and launch again?

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.WebDesigner.plist

Or browse to /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences to remove com.google.WebDesigner.plist

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 1:13:50 PM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Hello,

San - I tried this. Close GWD (which was never fully open in fact). Now deleted manually com.google.WebDesigner.plist, then empty basket bin. Open again (new com.google.WebDesigner.plist file is created in Preferences folder at this moment) ... but GWD has still black screen with logotype ... and nothing moves forward :(

San Khong

Jul 3, 2018, 1:45:58 PM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Were you able to run the previous build of Google Web Designer before on this machine?

It looks like Google Web Designer fails to get the templates and load the web application. Without the log files, we don't know for sure. Let me circle this back to our engineers to see what we can do to investigate it further.

Is there any firewall or proxy on your machine?

Thanks,
San

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 1:55:05 PM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
San,

this computer which causes problems is brand new MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Intel HD Graphics 630 1536  MB.

System Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5 (17F77).

Original configuration - no firewall, no proxy. Only installed software (including GWD) and wanted to start doing my job.

I have other (almost the same) MacBook Pro but with Mac OS Sierra (previous OS version) which handles GWD without problems.

I was never able to run GWD on this machine (I have it 3 days only).

I can make you a movie and show what is happening, the way com.google.WebDesigner.plist is erased, etc. - everything just like you wrote.

I can't send you a log file because GWD is NOT creating one - I don't have folder "Web Designer" in Application Support / Google. So, there is no log or cache files generated by GWD.

Anyway - I understand this is not fixable situation?

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 2:06:52 PM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
San, I have recorded everything on my Phone.

Please, let me know where can I send you a link to this video that you can see it on your own eyes.

Thank you.

San Khong

Jul 3, 2018, 2:24:59 PM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
Please send it to gwd-s...@google.com.

Thanks,
San

ukiman

Jul 3, 2018, 2:30:54 PM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
I have just send a link to Vimeo movie.

Please, let me know if you need anything .. I'm desperated  ... :(

San Khong

Jul 3, 2018, 4:51:00 PM7/3/18
to Google Web Designer beta
To close the thread, it turns out the problem is the current user account does not have write access to /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/. Set write permission to this folder solves the issue.

Thank you for working with us to resolve this issue Ukiman.