Fallback to other locales

jmen...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2014, 6:49:48 PM4/22/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
As said in the other thread, if you start Google Web Designer and you have an unsupported locale set (such as Catalan in my case), Google Web Designer won't display due to a bug.

Moreover, since the unsupported locale is stored in localStorage, GWD won't start even after you change the locale setting; you also have to clear GWD data as well.

GWD should fallback to the next preferred locale in the list or, if there aren't, to English.

San Khong

Apr 23, 2014, 1:31:52 PM4/23/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
I'm copying and pasting from the other thread so we can have the workaround posted here.

We've narrowed down the black screen issue with some locales (listed below).  We'll work on a fix and release it shortly.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

Workaround found by Xavier Mendez:

To fix, open terminal and type exactly:

  rm -r .local/share/google-web-designer

Then, to run GWD:

  LANGUAGE=en_US google-webdesigner

It will be started in english, you can now start it as normal.

If you're having the black screen problem on launch and you're not on these locales and/or Xavier's workaround does not work for you, please let us know.

bg-BGBulgarian
ca-ESCatalan
hr-HRCroatian
cs-CZCzech
da-DKDanish
fil-PH, tl, tl-PHFilipino
fi-FIFinnish
el-GRGreek
he*, he-IL, iw-ILHebrew
hi-INHindi
hu-HUHungarian
id-ID, in, in-IDIndonesian
lv-LVLatvian
lt-LTLithuanian
no-NO, nb, nb-NONorwegian (Bokmål)
fa-IRPersian
Portuguese (European)
ro-RO, moRomanian
sr-RS, sr-Cyrl-RSSerbian (Cyrillic)
sk-SKSlovak
sl-SISlovenian
sv-SESwedish
uk-UAUkrainian
vi-VNVietnamese
Message has been deleted

Xavier Mendez

Apr 23, 2014, 2:11:01 PM4/23/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Don't you have a repository or something for users to contribute back?

I have translated GWD to Catalan for myself, it'd be nice to be able to contribute the changes back... :D

verte...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2014, 11:41:14 PM4/23/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
You may need to add "en_AU:en" to that list

Thanks,
John

Xavier Mendez

Apr 24, 2014, 10:36:02 AM4/24/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
In fact, there are lots of locales missing in the list (the country variations),
i.e. for English there's en_US, en_UK, en_AU, en_IN, Catalan has ca_FR, ca_IT, ...

San Khong

Apr 24, 2014, 6:14:40 PM4/24/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for letting us know about the other locales.  The fix that we are testing right now will fallback to en_US if it cannot find the exact match for the language code that we have the translation for.  People can browse the language dropdown to pick the closest match.

San
GWD Team