Youtube component does not autoplay on mobile device

Nikola Dimitrov

Mar 31, 2014, 6:12:14 PM3/31/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
I have used youtube component with proper video.
I have turned autoplay options.
When I open the build html file it works fine on pc, and autoplays and loops, but when I load on my phone or iPad, the video does not autoplay.
The first frame from the video just shows there and video does not autoplay.

Why does youtube component is not working right on mobile device and mobile browsers ?
Is there a possible solution for this

ewschang

Mar 31, 2014, 7:14:43 PM3/31/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nikola,

Mobile device does not allow video to autoplay. For workaround, you can set an event in GWD to play the youtube video.

In the Events panel, click '+' to add a new event, select the following to set up the event:

Source > Page1
Event > Loading Complete
Target > youtube_1
Action > Play

Then publish your file and preview it on a mobile device. It should play the youtube video.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Emily (GWD Team)

Nikola Dimitrov

Apr 1, 2014, 6:16:28 AM4/1/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Seems like right solution, but I've tested on my Galaxy note 3 and it DOES NOT work :/
Wil test on my iPad too, but I dont think it will work either there too.

This is very important feature since 80% of advertisers want to have some video ad in their creatives, you understand what i mean.
and if it does not work on mobile devices, than its a big trouble.

I've read that autoplay is cut of from mobile devices to stop cellular data usage( 3g internet), but idk why your solution did not work for me :(

Nikola Dimitrov

Apr 1, 2014, 8:29:29 AM4/1/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
I have also tried using methods like seek video after page reloading..but it does not work.
Also tried using the regular video component using same approach but the videos does not start automatically.

:/

ewschang

Apr 1, 2014, 2:46:32 PM4/1/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nikola,

For the Loading Complete event on Youtube and regular video, it works in Firefox but not in Chrome on mobile devices.
We have already logged the issues and are looking at it.

Thanks,
Emily (GWD Team)

Kishore Subramanian

Apr 1, 2014, 3:55:03 PM4/1/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nikola,

We are looking into it but it is most likely a YouTube issue - https://code.google.com/p/gdata-issues/issues/detail?id=5204. We will post our findings here.

Thanks,
Kishore

Nikola Dimitrov

Apr 1, 2014, 4:26:10 PM4/1/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Thank you guys I hope you will find some solution, you know that this is important.
I am really amazed why does youtube limited the autoplay on mobile devices, its really bad approach.

I will test on firefox now, but since we are using GWD it should be 100% working in Chrome .

Also the main concern and doubt i have, will this be working in ad exchange platforms. I dont know how they use and work to use the ads, they dont use browsers at all. You know right now they accept html5 ads, so If we make the autoplay to work, how much sure we can be that it will work on their platform.

Kishore Subramanian

Apr 1, 2014, 5:41:17 PM4/1/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
Some more context - https://developers.google.com/youtube/iframe_api_reference?hl=fr#Mobile_considerations

As noted by others, the play must be initiated by the user at least once. Only after that can the player can be controlled programatically.

Nikola Dimitrov

Apr 1, 2014, 6:02:53 PM4/1/14
to gwd...@googlegroups.com
I have did so much research past 2 days about this, and it seems like a big problem.
Its has really no sense at all, because technology of advertising is getting so much changed, advertisers want to use reach media ads and animations.

like HTML5 is so much popular right now, and we are so much limited of using the html5 with that video autoplay limitations..its really understandable for me.

Its not just youtube component but you can't even autoplay video using other components ( and by this I mean the one from GWD editor ) or some others that I've find on google search.

If youtube does not work for autoplay, than I hope there is a option using video component (with loading the video from server ) and some workaround.

stevej...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2017, 1:26:25 PM8/24/17
to Google Web Designer beta
This is more of an mobile IOS/OS issue rather than a youtube or gwd problem.