VFS2 project

Fabricio Voznika

Sep 2, 2020, 7:52:01 PM9/2/20
to gVisor Users, gVisor Development
Hi all,

We've been working on a project to rewrite the entire filesystem layer in gVisor, called VFS2. The main focus of the project is to improve performance, but also to unlock new functionality and fix bugs. File system operations are an order of magnitude faster with VFS2, which corresponds to about 5-30% performance improvement end to end, depending on the workload.

We're looking for volunteers to enable VFS2 and give us feedback about code stability and performance gains. Enabling it is easy, here are a few ways you can do it:

sudo runsc install -- --vfs2

Or add "--vfs2" to the runtime configuration in /etc/docker/daemon.json. Or use runsc do:

sudo runsc --vfs2 do echo 123

You can file bugs or send feedback using this link. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!