Silent Enough

Leo Oquendo

Dec 23, 2023, 8:12:39 AM12/23/23
to LiDAR360 Suite User Group

Do you know one of the core unix principles? Unix is silent. It is assumed the user knows what he does.
But every time, the ssh client tries to access the agent after some minutes or hours or a reboot, I get 2 popups: one for allowing access to the agent, then immediately after it another popup for the Windows Hello pin prompt. This severely intrudes established workflows. It's tedious, especially the 1st popup. Always have to click it away makes me ignoring what it says. The Windows Hello prompt can be used or not, depending on how paranoid you are.

But in general, ssh agents were designed to silently serve ssh keys loaded into it. They just run in background and serve the keys. Please make it so.
The current implementation is so that I deactivated the 1Password agent and use pageant again.

If you insist to protect the user from unauthorized agent use, please offer options for turning on and off paranoid mode. I don't need it - I just want the agent silently serve requests and to be able to store the private key not as file but as entry in 1Password. Storing in 1Password with its cloud sync to have it automatically available on every machine I use is the benefit I see from using 1Password as ssh agent. Not the prompting to allow access to it.

I am looking at the FAQ's for the Gaterons and Kailhs in the shop, but it isn't clear which ones are silent. For example, Gateron Reds claim to be silent, but 1) if they're silent it's almost contrary to Gateron's Silent Reds, and 2) if it's analog to my Kailh Reds I do not believe it, but the Kailh Reds are the only ones I have experience with.

Like the title says, will this be quiet enough as to not disturb anyone in the office? It's a fairly small place (4 people in the room socially distanced) and the last thing I would want to do is irritate any of my coworkers. Any input is helpful to this newbie!

Now I have spoken to several faculty, staff, and students about being right leaning on various issues on the USD campus. Without exception all of them keep silent on many issues because of repercussions that they fear will occur. Students fear reprisal from other classmates and concern over their grades. Yes, some students have experienced reduction in their grades at USD due to their opinions being different than that of their professor. No I will not give names. Faculty worry about backlash not just from their students but also from fellow faculty.

Currently, 72 million people in the United States have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19. The U.S. has been fortunate enough to have access to three vaccines; Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, and Moderna.

I own a Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Alcantara, I want to replace it because it isn't as smooth and silent as I'd hoped, I play lots of ETS2 and when you park the truck I had to rotate the wheel full rotation (900) and it was kinda noisy for my ears. I'm thinking of upgrading to CSL Elite Ps4 + Pedals, the bundle comes in at 520 euros + 140 euros for the loadcell + transport, total of 710 euros, which is a lot of money, I already have the th8a. If any of you guys have the fanatec wheel, is it silent and smooth enough when you turn it fast (full rotation) does it compare with a real servo car or there still is friction and gear noise?

For me is smooth enough, never tested without FFB. What I remember first time starting the CSL Eilite that feels more hydraulic and smooth than the TX and T300RS. And more silent. The only unpleasant sound was when I go out of the track on the gravel and on maximum vibration and FFB the wheel vibrates itself and this makes sound. But I am sure that any wheel with some internal mechanism in some cases will do sound. For me CSL Elite at this moment of models of brands is the best wheel for its price.

I am currently reading a book by Elisabeth Elliot. I am of course really enjoying it. This was one of the quotes that stuck out to me: "Be silent enough to hear."

Shortly before that one was another quote that could possibly be even better, for me at least. "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut." It did make me laugh, but I probably need to remember it in certain situations.

So I shall take this opportunity to keep my mouth shut and leave you with the last picture.

Cardiac ischemia happens when an artery becomes narrowed or blocked for a short time, preventing oxygen-rich blood from reaching the heart. If ischemia is severe or lasts too long, it can cause a heart attack (myocardial infarction) and can lead to heart tissue death. In most cases, a temporary blood shortage to the heart causes the pain of angina pectoris. But in other cases, there is no pain. These cases are called silent ischemia.

The American Heart Association estimates that 3 to 4 million Americans have episodes of silent ischemia. People who have had previous heart attacks or those who have diabetes are especially at risk for developing silent ischemia. Heart muscle disease (cardiomyopathy) caused by silent ischemia is among the more common causes of heart failure in the United States.

I need to control a slow and silent motor. It doesn't have to be precisely at a specific speed, but approximately 1 rotation per minute. I can of course work with gears to slow the final rotation down. But the slower the motor itself, the easier the transmission to 1rpm is.
The important thing however is, that it should be as silent as possible.
The motor itself doesn't need to be very powerful, but should be able to lift a weight that is about 100 gram.

They are virtually silent, relatively powerful for their size, highly reliable, and fairly accurate (if that's needed). Just wire up a simple lamp cord to the leads, and plug it in. No need for an Arduino, no need for complex circuitry, no need for expensive solutions.

And as another idea, consider moving the motor away from where people can hear it and using a pulley or belt to transfer the rotational motion to the thing that needs rotating. That will be ultimately silent.

I've googled around but could not find a definitive answer. Some say layer shift might be a problem in silent mode. Others say that silent mode struggles with small prints and fine details. True or false?

Silent mode is just slightly slower. There really isnt much of a drawback. and Yeah i could see where it would not get as fine detail because the drivers are also running with a different mode / frequency (only to make it quieter) but those modes have not been tuned at all as far as I know. TBH the MK3 is quiet enough and I have never used that mode myself for any of our print farm.

In silent mode your motors are running with less current. In addition they are running in a different mode. This can lead to layer shifts, under extrusion and all the other funny stuff. Some people are printing fine without any issues in silent mode. I had some weird (but rare) issues together with MMU2 in silent mode. Since then I'm always printing in normal mode.

The time difference is negligible and you can always tweak speeds in slicer anyway, printing at the fastest speed you can eek out of your printer has much more of an affect on print quality than silent / normal mode ever has, so give it a try. If you do start to get layer shifts, then something is not quite right with your printer and will be straining things during normal mode, just you haven't noticed it yet, but may / will cause failures at some point in the future.

Basically if everything works perfectly in silent mode, it will work reliably and consistently in normal mode and your guides / belts are set up correctly and lubricated correctly / tensioned correctly. Try it, it is well worth knowing that there are no issues in silent mode, which could give you advanced warning of sticking bearings.

This temp solution involves users logging into client portal website, then user arrives at our portal (with enough user info to create user), then using auth0 api and server-to-server calls we either find user or create user in auth0, ideally do a silent authentication (starting the auth0 session), then redirect user browser to partner who will get user info from auth0 using normal SAML methods. At no point should user see a login screen. When a session expires they must go back to client portal to start a new session. This is all working except the silent authentication part.

Background: The importance of exercise electrocardiogram (ECG) has been controversial in the prevention of cardiac events among sportsmen. The aim of this study was to determine the frequency of silent myocardial ischemia (SMI) from an exercise ECG and its relationship with induced coronary angiographic assessment and potentially preventable cardiac events.

Conclusions: The association of positive exercise ECG with significant coronary stenosis was stronger among sportsmen with CVD risk factors and older than 50years. Screening by exercise ECG can lower the risk of cardiac events in middle-aged and older sportsmen. One hundred tests would be enough to detect one silent myocardial ischemia at risk for cardiac event.

0aad45d008