Airone tappet clearance

hcmvan...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2023, 7:58:42 AM1/6/23
to Guzzi Singles
Hello. Found myself a 1952 Airone (Sport) last fall and am keen to get it back on the road by spring. It seems to be in reasonable condition, difficult to tell if it's an older restauration or still original but my guess is it's the former. Anyway, it has a nice patina. But it definitely needs tidying up. Worked a lot on bikes built from the 70's onwards but this is quite different. Interesting though, this thing is quite cleverly put together. One of the things I want to check is the valve clearance. I have manuals but the English version is a bit vague on the subject and from the Italian one I think I am able to deduce it is 0,2 mm for both valves. Am I correct? Something else that's puzzeling me a bit are the screws or bolts that hold the rocker covers in place. They are 10mm hexagons with a sawcut across the middle. The part manual pic is a bit vague but it and some photo's I looked up on the internet seem to suggest this is the correct model screw. Although some pics show allen screws. (were they around yet in 1952?) An allen screw would fit perfectly on the cover since all the holes have a little chamber that would fit the head nicely. The parts manual does not mention any washer but if I use the hexagons only the tips touch the edge of the chamber. That can't be right. It came with spring washers jammed into the chamber holes, which also doesn't seem correct. Can anyone advise me on this? Thanks!

guzz...@aol.com

Jan 6, 2023, 11:43:22 AM1/6/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
my 1948 has hex bolts with a plain flat washer on the rocker covers ,,,,,, & I believe the valve clearance 0,2 is correct

Tim

pouma1954

Jan 6, 2023, 12:06:36 PM1/6/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Hex screws, 6mm, 10 mm is the head diameter.
Fibre washers.
Paul

Envoyé depuis mon appareil Galaxy

Jan 6, 2023, 2:21:47 PM1/6/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
I think that Dave is correct on this question. These old 'slicers run best with minimal valve clearance. I find that if you can turn the  pushrod easily when the valve is fully closed, the clearance is just right.
Alan in Roberts Creek

Richard Wood

Jan 6, 2023, 2:57:43 PM1/6/23
to Guzzi Singles
For those with early (testa scoperta) open valve spring Airone note that valve clearance is a seemingly very tight 0.05mm (2 thou) inlet and 0.3mm (12 thou) exhaust.

Richard

Gordon de la Mare

Jan 6, 2023, 3:32:07 PM1/6/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
That is definitely correct on a Falcone which is pretty much the same.
0.20mm for both inlet and exhaust for setting valve timing only.
0.05mm for inlet and 0.05mm for exhaust both at TDC and adjust when cold though I have seen some documentation that says 0.10mm for exhaust.
It appears to be the same for all 250 and 500 engines apart from the magnesium (elektron) race engines (dondolino and condor) where they are 0.1mm inlet and 0.2mm cold but then set to same clearances when the engine is warmed up.
Bit of a pain every time you run them.

On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 at 19:05, 'David Roper' via Guzzi Singles

hcmvan...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2023, 8:34:51 AM1/7/23
to Guzzi Singles
Thanks for the info guys. I'll set them at 0.05 for the inlet and I'll give the exhaust a bit more leeway. Should be an improvement on the 0,5 mm which they were set on anyway. And see if I can find some fitting washers. Many happy kilometers in 2023!

Stephen Brisken

Feb 25, 2023, 5:13:39 PM2/25/23
to Guzzi Singles
I am also interested in instructions for adjusting the valves on my 1955 Falcone Tourismo. I have not adjusted valves before.  Is there a U.S. source for the valve cover gaskets? If no U.S. source what would be the best source?
Thanks much, Stephen