Guzzi Retro

Paul Marx

May 29, 2024, 1:46:02 PMMay 29
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Having stupidly taken up too much slack on the clutch cable of my Falcone to try and avoid a horribly sticking clutch, on a 500 km outing two weeks back, the screw on the clutch arm was well and truly worn. I got home ok by using stainless screws that would wear very quickly and mark the button. So, for the first time, I ordered replacement parts from Guzzi Retro.
Immediate answer to my mails, next day dispatch and the parts arrived a week later.
Firsts class.
Paul

Rick Yamane

May 29, 2024, 6:23:22 PMMay 29
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Got my order in this afternoon, ahead of the Harper order that was placed two days earlier. Gotta love airmail.

Jun 3, 2024, 4:07:36 PMJun 3
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
On 5/29/2024 10:45 AM, Paul Marx wrote:
> the screw on the clutch arm was well and truly worn.

You have a bigger issue than the adjuster screw.
The throwout system rotates with engine/transmission rotation. The
outer cap is separated from the throwout system by a set of eight loose
balls to serve as a bearing. In theory, the slightest pressure against
the outer cap should make it stop while the rest of the system continues
to spin on the rolling balls. So, what can wear the adjuster screw?
The original button bearing system is marginal at best. Replacement
balls tend to erode very quickly. Any bit of binding or drag can
transfer spinning contact to the tip of the adjuster screw and it wears
rapidly. There are much better ball or roller bearings on the supply
market but they require custom carrier components. I fabricate the
modern replacements. I can stop the spinning outer cap with my finger.
I have 7K miles without any obvious wear. My adjuster screw is worn but
the bike came to me that way with wear from prior service.

Remove, clean, inspect your button bearing and insure that it rolls
smoothly. Mine does.

These pictures show my early attempt using captive caged balls. I'm now
experimenting with a captive roller bearing version. They both work.
Ostensibly, the rollers can handle more load than the balls. I know of
only one failure to my system but that was attributed to 'coil binding'
of the clutch springs.

http://www.motohayes.com/shoptask/clutchbutton/clutchbutton.html

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
peh...@comcast.net

pouma1954

Jun 3, 2024, 4:58:59 PMJun 3
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Patrick
There was constant pressure on the screw to try and alleviate the horribly sticky, and probably badly washed out clutch after a year without the bike seeing any use.
I've since changed the whole caboodle and have yet to rinse the clutch properly.
If you can supply me with one of your kits, I'd be very happy to have one.
Paul

Envoyé depuis mon appareil Galaxy