New Falcone owner here.

Eldo Rado

May 10, 2023, 3:18:59 PM5/10/23
to Guzzi Singles
I recently purchased this '61 Falcone Turismo. The previous owner has had it since 1985. It hasn't been ridden much in the past few years so I'm trying to get it up and running.
Right now I can't get it started. It has fuel and spark at the cylinder but has zero compression.
There is no clearances currently on the intake valve while the exhaust is around .006".
What should the valve clearances be (so far I've seen them vary quite a bit)?
Thanks!!!

IMG_4783.jpg

Alan Comfort

May 10, 2023, 5:34:15 PM5/10/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Make sure that the compression release is not sticking. that could cause zero compression. Next look for a sticking valve. If you can see the valve stem moving when the engine is turning it should be OK, but you could squirt some penetrating oil on the valve stems to help get things moving. Take the bike "for a walk". That is remove the spark pug, squirt a generous amount of light oil in the cylinder, select second gear and push the bike a few hundred feet. That should free up any sticky piston rings. If still no compression, then you will have to remove the cylinder head to see what is amiss. It is a simple job and can be done with the engine in the frame.

Alan in Roberts Creek

Eldo Rado

May 10, 2023, 9:29:55 PM5/10/23
to Guzzi Singles
Thanks, Alan!

Eldo Rado

May 12, 2023, 9:23:13 AM5/12/23
to Guzzi Singles
I removed the compression release assembly from the right side of the case but wasn't sure how to remove the cable end at the compression release lever on the left handlebar. I can get the lever itself off but how do I remove the "cone" the compression release lever is attached to without messing anything up? Is it threaded it? Pressed in?
Thanks!

Alan Comfort

May 12, 2023, 9:57:38 AM5/12/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Nothing special there, probably just wedged in from years of use. A little friendly persuasion should do the trick. But why remove it? The cable can be inspected and lubricated with the lever in situ.

Rick Yamane

May 12, 2023, 10:32:00 AM5/12/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a leakdown tester?
That will tell you where your compression is going.

May 24, 2023, 12:41:57 PM5/24/23
to Guzzi Singles
Lots of small items addressed this weekend.
The valves were wildly out of adjustment, but after ordering an 11mm tubular box wrench I got those sorted out.

The clutch cable had broken at the actuator and the repair shortened it so the clutch was always dragging. Using one of my old SPII cables (I always keep old broken cables) I made a new clutch cable and got it adjusted. No more dragging.

The compression release cam was out of position in the case so it was doing nothing. The compression release lever bolt had been overtightened, pinching the lever so it couldn’t return. I addressed both these issues and now the compression release works well enough for now.
The front brake was terrible and it turns out it had also broken at the cam lever and a poor repair made. So, using yet another old SPII cable, I made a new brake cable and now the brake will stop and actually works well enough to compress the forks.
Now it pretty much starts on the first kick!
At a certain speed it sounds like there is a can of nuts and bolts rattling around somewhere up front. I mean that. It's unnerving and I can't imagine it's engine noise. Shifting has to be done deliberately. I’m still not happy with how the compression release works. The first time I used it to shut off the engine, but the second time it wouldn’t work so I had to reach down and push the lever on the side of the cash to do it.
Overall, though, it's coming along pretty!

Where does one get replacement 6v tail light and headlight bulbs for these? Are they available in halogen?

Denis

Rick Yamane

May 24, 2023, 1:12:00 PM5/24/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com

Always nice to report on and hear of progress!
Cables are fun. Being at Motion Pro and having built hundreds I know just how frustration a simple device can be. When building a bike I usually tell people to do new cables all around. They seem to wear and break at the worst time.
Sounds like the decompressor is just out of adjustment.

The festoon bulbs for the tail light, I get from Paul at Guzzino. Just got one last week.

Thanks, Alan!

Image removed by sender. IMG_4783.jpg

Patrick Hughes

May 25, 2023, 8:35:38 AM5/25/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
You can get LED replacement bulbs they work very well. Where are you based?

Regards Patrick Hughes
Harmill Systems Ltd.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Thanks, Alan!

IMG_4783.jpg

Andrew Nahum

May 25, 2023, 9:24:55 AM5/25/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
The headlight LED ‘bulb’ I got is surprisingly good even on 6 volts.