Oil filter seal T 35102 bis

v7j...@outlook.com

Feb 28, 2023, 5:51:07 AM2/28/23
to Guzzi Singles
I've successfully fixed the leaky oil tank on my Superalce by soldering but now need to replace the fibre washer that seals the oil filter to the tank. You'd think that would be easy as the same seal looks to have been used on all the singles. Trouble is nowhere says what size it should be and I haven't been able to track one down. My guess is that it's not something Guzzi specific. The fibre washer currently fitted doesn't look right and has a crack in it. Can anyone give me the size and where they get them. Do you still use red fibre washers? I'm in the UK.

pouma1954

Feb 28, 2023, 8:34:12 AM2/28/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Just go to the nearest place that supplies plumbing hardware.
Paul

Envoyé depuis mon appareil Galaxy

Feb 28, 2023, 8:36:36 AM2/28/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com

The fibre washers are generally to fit the thread size which is a pipe thread not a machine bolt  thread.  So a pipe with a quarter inch bore would have an od of 0.518 inches (13.51 mm).

These washers are easy to come by in the UK, I have a box of assorted washers of all the common sizes. I also have a similar box of copper washers which sometimes work better.

Where are you based?

Regards
Patrick Hughes   CEng FIMechE FSOE FIPlantE

Managing Director
Harmill Systems Ltd
Unit P Cherrycourt Way
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
LU7 4UH

Tel:           +44 (0)1525 851133
Fax:          +44 (0)1525 850661

patrick...@harmill.co.uk
www.harmill.co.uk

Company Registration Number 2505102 Registered in England. VAT Number GB563464920
Harmill Systems Ltd. is an ISO 9001-2015 registered company registration number 2902019

 This email contains information which is confidential and may be privileged. Unless you are the intended addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not use, forward, copy or disclose to anyone this email or any information contained in this email. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender by reply email immediately and delete this email.

--

20230228_133335.jpg

guzz...@aol.com

Feb 28, 2023, 12:54:46 PM2/28/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
the auto parts stores have the aluminum crush washers with the rubber seal inside better than the fiber washers ,,,, they have them for car oil pan drain plugs

,, Tim

John Dyer

Feb 28, 2023, 2:55:52 PM2/28/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone,

The sealing washer is for the oil filter connection to the oil tank. As best as I can tell, it needs to be about 25mm ID and 33mm OD. It's not for the pipe connections. The one previouslt fitted was 27mm ID and slopped about, almost came out from behind the flange of the fixing and had broken. I have several spares of that size. I was hoping someone would look at their spares and tell me what I need. I've got boxes of metric and imperial size washers but none will work. My selection of copper washers don't go big enough - close but not quite. I'm close to the Welsh coast about halfway between Cardigan and Aberystwyth and it's a 40 mile round trip to one of these to hunt down stuff.

I don't think the suggestion to use "Dowty" type washers (aluminium with rubber insert) will work in this instance as the contact area doesn't look wide enough. I use them on my v-twin Guzzis where they work well. Not sure I'd be ablle to get one big enough either.

I've seen some fibre washers on ebay measuring 25.7mm x 33mm x 1mm which might work. I'll order a pack and try those. If I can find copper or aluminium crush washers in a similar size I'll get some of those as well.

I volunteer on Fridays at a local engineering museum (mainly big diesel engines). My job is to try and keep the stores/workshop organised so will look to see if they've got anything suitable there. I won't pinch stuff but can compare anything I find with what I need. However, I might not be able to go this week as my wife's just tested positive for Covid!

John

John Dyer

Mar 4, 2023, 6:28:30 AM3/4/23
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Just to let you know how I got on. I ordered some fibre washers from ebay which work and are (as measured) 33.4mm x 25.4mm x 0.9mm. I also found copper crush washers 32.2mm x 25.4mm x 1.5mm which will be just as good. The nearest size I could find in Dowty washers was M24 which are too small and won't work. The next metric size up is too big and there aren't suitable imperial sizes as far as I can tell.

John