Airone question

Rick Yamane

Feb 24, 2024, 9:39:09 PMFeb 24
to Guzzi-Singles
A friend is trying to change his engine sprocket. It looks like there is a spanner ring nut that holds the kick start pinion and mechanism on. He's having trouble getting it loose so before he goes animal on it he would like to confirm it's right or left hand thread?

Alan Comfort

Feb 24, 2024, 10:45:57 PMFeb 24
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
As I recall, this is a right hand thread (counter clockwise to loosen).  A good pin spanner and some brute force with a large hammer will ease this task.
The photo on page 27 suggests a right hand thread:

On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 6:39 PM 'Rick Yamane' via Guzzi Singles <guzzi-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
A friend is trying to change his engine sprocket. It looks like there is a spanner ring nut that holds the kick start pinion and mechanism on. He's having trouble getting it loose so before he goes animal on it he would like to confirm it's right or left hand thread?

Patrick Hayes

Feb 25, 2024, 12:10:34 AMFeb 25
to 'Rick Yamane' via Guzzi Singles
On 2/24/2024 6:39 PM, 'Rick Yamane' via Guzzi Singles wrote:
> confirm it's right or left hand thread?

Yes, standard thread. Once the kick start is off, there is a second nut
that holds the pinion sprocket itself onto the output shaft. Look
carefully. That second nut has a shallow grub screw into the sprocket
which keeps the nut from loosening by itself. The grub screw is slotted
and needs to come out before the holding nut is removed.

At least that is the case on the Falcone. The Falcone parts book does
not give dimensions for the grub screw. IIRC it is standard 8 x 1.25.
I fabricated replacement from a standard bolt.

However, I looked in the Airone Parts Book and it does show the same
screw but with specified dimensions of "5 x 0,85 x 9". No idea what
those dimensions represent. Don't lose the screw!

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Rick Yamane

Feb 25, 2024, 12:27:57 AMFeb 25
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alan and Patrick. I’ll pass this along.