Rocker Arm Grease Cup

guzz...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2022, 12:59:47 PM8/1/22
to Guzzi Singles
The grease line on the 1938 S was clogged when I got it and the rocker arm bushing was shot. I clean the plug from the line and thought I would use wheel bearing grease to lube it but the grease was too thick to pump through the line and would just squirt out  between the threads of the cup cap. I clean that out of the system and tried white lithium grease which is much thinner but had the same effect. I ended up cleaning that from the system and relinquished to just coating the parts with high temp wheel bearing grease for the time being.
What thin grease or oil should I use, maybe I should mix them, and is there anyway of sealing the threads on the cap to keep the grease from coming out of them instead of flowing grease to the rocker arm bushing?

John O Regan

Aug 1, 2022, 4:00:02 PM8/1/22
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
I would remove the grease cup and make up a fitting to take a zerk (grease nipple) and use a high pressure grease gun with high temp grease
Replace the cup if originality bothers you between greasing
Reminder to myself I must get my GTW out and service it for a 4 day event in 3 weeks time !!!

John

On Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 5:59 PM guzz...@gmail.com <guzz...@gmail.com> wrote:
The grease line on the 1938 S was clogged when I got it and the rocker arm bushing was shot. I clean the plug from the line and thought I would use wheel bearing grease to lube it but the grease was too thick to pump through the line and would just squirt out  between the threads of the cup cap. I clean that out of the system and tried white lithium grease which is much thinner but had the same effect. I ended up cleaning that from the system and relinquished to just coating the parts with high temp wheel bearing grease for the time being.
What thin grease or oil should I use, maybe I should mix them, and is there anyway of sealing the threads on the cap to keep the grease from coming out of them instead of flowing grease to the rocker arm bushing?

Richard Wood

Aug 2, 2022, 2:31:47 AM8/2/22
to Guzzi Singles
Sorry but I disagree John. Engines of this era were fitted with screw down grease cups to allow gentle lubrication to, in this case rocker bush. This is not the place to use a high pressure grease gun, better suited to suspension lubrication. Not really practical to carry a grease gun with you and stop half way along a ride either ;)

The grease cup was factory fitted, if it's not functioning properly due to blockage or incorrect grease then that issue should be tackled so it works as intended. Typically after lightly screwing cup down and ensuring grease has reached rocker bearing, as engine runs over a period of time grease will be aborbed. This will eventually allow a further twist of grease cup to maintain head and so on.

Richard

Guzzi SVT

Aug 6, 2022, 5:28:10 PM8/6/22
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
I ended up thinning down some all purpose Grease with 90 weight gear oil until it was pliable. I got it to flow through the pipe and out the push rod and hole. It's still late quite a bit around the cup while tightening it down so next time I'll wrap it with more Teflon tape. But it's now flowing.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Guzzi Singles" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/guzzi-singles/768486be-677b-480a-a8a4-dbe45ca30eedn%40googlegroups.com.