timing

jimf...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2021, 12:09:14 PM8/10/21
to Guzzi Singles
I'm trying to time my '53 Falcone with auto advance and all I can find is where to have the points start to open on a pre '53 with manual advance. I have to set mine in the retarded position. There are no marks on my flywheel except the TDC mark that I put on it. Any suggestions?

Alan Comfort

Aug 10, 2021, 12:53:53 PM8/10/21
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
If it is a sport measure 22mm clockwise from the TDC mark or if it is a Turismo measure 34mm and make a mark. This will be your timing mark. Wedge the auto advance in the fully advanced position. A small piece of wood will work for this. Turn the engine backwards past the TDC mark then turn it clockwise to your timing mark. The points should just start to open at this point. You may have to adjust the timing gear on the magneto, but usually this adjustment can be made with the points plate in the magneto. You can refine this adjustment with a strobe light and that will also tell you if your auto advance unit is working properly.
All of this advice is based on your bike having the stock cam and an unmodified flywheel.
Alan in Roberts Creek

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 9:09 AM jimf...@gmail.com <jimf...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm trying to time my '53 Falcone with auto advance and all I can find is where to have the points start to open on a pre '53 with manual advance. I have to set mine in the retarded position. There are no marks on my flywheel except the TDC mark that I put on it. Any suggestions?

SED Sci

Aug 10, 2021, 1:15:41 PM8/10/21
to Guzzi Singles
Aren't 22mm and 34mm for the autoadvance in the retarded position?

Patrick Hughes

Aug 10, 2021, 2:01:24 PM8/10/21
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
I set my turismo points 34mm  without touching the auto advance. The auto advance is behind the points plate so it is not possible to access it with the points plate in position. The engine runs fine.

Regards Patrick Hughes
Harmill Systems Ltd.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Alan Comfort

Aug 10, 2021, 4:22:41 PM8/10/21
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, my mistake, use the mark with the auto advance at rest. I had just finished timing my Velocette, so I was wearing that ha.
The Velocettes are timed with the auto advance fully advanced

Gordon de la Mare

Aug 12, 2021, 8:32:13 AM8/12/21
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com

As you said, one does not have to mess with the points plate, that is erroneous advice.

On a Sport cam/engine the points, when set at .4mm should open at
21-22mm BTDC when retarded. Tourismo cams open the points earlier at
around 30mm BTDC.
I have found on both of my Sports that when set at 22mm the plus sparks
at 95mm when fully advanced which is true to spec.

Gordon

jimf...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2021, 5:55:08 PM8/29/21
to Guzzi Singles
Thanks for everyone's help. The bike is up and running just fine with a lovely, slow idle. I have had it out for a few rides and it is a delight. Now I just have to get it registered. Jim