gasket material for single crank case halves

briana...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2021, 9:49:48 AM8/16/21
to Guzzi Singles
Hi,

What gasket material, paper or sealant would you recommend for assembling the crank case halves of an Airone?

Jerome Kimberlin

Aug 16, 2021, 9:51:57 AM8/16/21
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
I use Dirko RTV.

JerryK

Dave Knaack

Aug 16, 2021, 10:18:20 AM8/16/21
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff. Works very well

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 16, 2021, at 6:51 AM, Jerome Kimberlin <kimb...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I use Dirko RTV.

RedNorton7

Aug 16, 2021, 1:29:59 PM8/16/21
to Guzzi Singles
Or you could use 3Bond 1211 or 1184.  The beauty of this product when used correctly is it doesn't bead into the engine case creating an opportunity to break of then clog an oil passageway.  I highly recommend it or Suzuki's 1207B or Yamabond 4 (3Bond1184)
All of these are great.

John O Regan

Aug 16, 2021, 3:41:20 PM8/16/21
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All
Did the Airone have a gasket between the case halves originally?
If so, end clearances of the shafts may be affected if a gasket is omitted ?
When I rebuilt our Gilera 150 the thickness of the case gasket was critical in order to get the
gear selector to work !!!

John

vanuss...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2021, 3:20:51 AM8/17/21
to Guzzi Singles
John is right, there should be a gasket!
Dirk

SED Sci

Aug 17, 2021, 2:24:04 PM8/17/21
to Guzzi Singles
?  No gasket between the crankcase halves is shown in the Airone parts book.

vanuss...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2021, 4:44:32 PM8/17/21
to Guzzi Singles
Neither is one shown for the side covers,yet they are present.

SED Sci

Aug 17, 2021, 9:28:42 PM8/17/21
to Guzzi Singles
Apologies, but I've not seen gaskets for the covers or crankcase.  I can find no reference to case gaskets in the parts books or shop manuals for the GTV and Airone (other gaskets, felts and mastic are mentioned).  I've not seen a gasket kit with case gaskets.  Do you have a link to a reference or gasket kit?  Aluminum expands with heat more than steel, so end play within the aluminum case should increase as the engine warms.  Therefore if end clearance is adequate when assembled cold it should only increase as the engine runs.

Jim Carey

Aug 17, 2021, 10:45:37 PM8/17/21
to guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
There was no gasket between my Airone cases when I stripped the engine and I don’t believe the cases were ever apart before. There were no gaskets under the side covers.
Jim

Aug 18, 2021, 3:28:50 AM8/18/21
to Guzzi Singles
Airone gasket kit: Engine gasket kit Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Centauro (officine08.com)