Substitute carburetor for Airone

瀏覽次數:362 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Luc Racine

未讀,
2020年12月10日 清晨5:49:572020/12/10
收件者:Guzzi Singles
Hi to All,
For the last while the running of my Airone Sport was becoming quite erratic
with inconsistent tick over and reluctance to accelerate at 3/4 to full throttle.
 It was time thd srnd the carb body to  Doctor Joe in The Uk for a reslieve.
Unfortunately the Good Doctor was unable to unscrew the jet bloc of the SSI
And fearing he might brake it decided to abandon the project.
Looking at some back back issue of Gambalunga wasn't there an article about sustituting a 26 mm JIKOW carb out of a JAWA and I just had one handy on the shelf fir the last 30 years.
 The JiKOW is a copy of an old Dellorto but with integral float chamber .
- the slide cut away is identical
- the flange bolts straight on
- the jetting is perfect out of the box(45 pilot ,115 main)
- cost new incl VAT for the unchoked version is e40
 -With the addition of a home made velocity stack it looks
 close to the SSI
- and more over it runs real well
So keep your precious SSI in a safe for posterity or sell it for E600
And add a cheap bit of leak proof East European flair to your
Airone

jerry atric

未讀,
2020年12月10日 上午11:19:452020/12/10
收件者:Guzzi Singles
40 Euros is bonkers cheap! more important that you can ride it than count the rivets!👍

Rick Yamane

未讀,
2020年12月10日 上午11:38:412020/12/10
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com

I don’t know if I’d call Jikov carbs leak proof but they should work fine. It used to be parts were an impossibility in the US but with the internet there are several Czech based outfits supplying parts for CZ and Jawa. If e40 is a good current price that is a hella deal. I’d say buy two or three, especially if paying international shipping.

Rick

richard...@hotmail.co.uk

未讀,
2020年12月15日 凌晨4:57:092020/12/15
收件者:Guzzi Singles
Thanks for the tip. The original SS carb on my bike is also very tired and I have been considering fitting an Amal Monobloc. Even if it does fit, I then have the issue of which jets to use. And it will cost four or five times more than the
Jikow.  I will definitely be looking into this.

Cheers
Richard.

kste...@gmail.com

未讀,
2020年12月15日 清晨5:49:442020/12/15
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting find. Can you direct me / us to the website where it is available at E40?

Sent from myMail for iOS

Thursday, 10 December 2020, 20:49 +1000 from lucrac...@gmail.com <lucrac...@gmail.com>:

Luc Racine

未讀,
2020年12月15日 上午8:54:102020/12/15
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
hi to All,
There are two suppliers of carbs one in Czech and another in Germany   (i Think of may be France)
Carbs are now taiwanese replicas of Jikov's but i had one on the bench together with a genuine jikov and they are identical.
 You can get a model with air slide choke like SSI for e50 but mine starts easy now in winter without it.
 My pilot jet is .50 ( standard) and might be a bit rich, the smallest one availlable is .45 ( found only in the repair kit from www.mz-Jawa-pieces.com).
 The bike runs better with the needle in the middle position.
 With the .50 pilot you definitely do not need an enricher, and don't flood the carb before starting!

guzz...@aol.com

未讀,
2020年12月15日 中午12:43:142020/12/15
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
I wish you guys weren't so far away ,,,, I have a real Jikov 24SB-13 that would bolt right on the airone. You can have it for free but I'm in the USA a long ways away ,,,,,,

Tim

IMG_0336.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG

ksteenst

未讀,
2020年12月15日 晚上11:07:022020/12/15
收件者:Guzzi Singles
Fantastic find Luc.   Is it the 26 mm that would be a straight fit for an Airone Sport?

Rod Schmidt

未讀,
2020年12月16日 上午8:55:322020/12/16
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
My 1 inch Amal on my GT -17 is very worn out. It’s a spigot not a flange mount.  I wonder if the JIKOW could be modified to fit.
Rod in Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone

SED Sci

未讀,
2020年12月16日 晚上10:14:062020/12/16
收件者:Guzzi Singles
The new remote float Amals on my Ariels work great and are much better than the original potmetal Amals.  It looks like Amal/Burlen makes a 1" spigot mount 276 that could be jetted to match.  Not cheap, but probably pretty easy.  I've called them on the phone to clarify specs on the pre-war carb and they have a lot more info than on the website.

SED Sci

未讀,
2020年12月16日 晚上10:15:072020/12/16
收件者:Guzzi Singles
And I was going to include the website!  http://amalcarb.co.uk/

Luc Racine

未讀,
2020年12月17日 凌晨3:35:272020/12/17
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Yep,straight fit, a bit too rich on pilot so,no flooding ,no throttle and there she runs.

Luc Racine

未讀,
2020年12月17日 凌晨3:38:482020/12/17
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
If you have access to lathe ,you can make a flange to spigot adapter.
 Anything's good to keep the fault spotters argueing!

David Reeve

未讀,
2020年12月17日 下午2:25:222020/12/17
收件者:Guzzi Singles
I just bought an Amal pre-monoblock from Burlen for my Falcone. Slip fit on the spigot is perfect. even the cables match. Looks so similar to the Dellorto. They jetted it to suit. Yep, not cheap though.

Patrick Hughes

未讀,
2020年12月17日 下午3:24:432020/12/17
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
David, can you post a photo please

Regards Patrick Hughes
Harmill Systems Ltd.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

De : 'Gordon de la Mare' via Guzzi Singles <guzzi-...@googlegroups.com>
Date : 20/12/2020 13:12 (GMT+01:00)

Patrick Hughes

未讀,
2020年12月20日 上午8:31:052020/12/20
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Completely depends on condition, I don't know about Airone, I have a Falcone and I have seen prices from £6000 to £16000. Also depends how much the buyer wants the machine.
Regarding carburettors will the Amal 276 work on the Falcone if the correct jets are fitted? My bike always has erratic ticker have spent hours on the ignition timing reconditioned magneto and adjusting the carb. I know the ignition is correct so looking at reconditioning the carb or replacement.

Luc Racine

未讀,
2020年12月20日 中午12:30:212020/12/20
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,
Erratic tickover is mostly due to worn out bore and slide, depending of how the slide sits down each time.
 I swear the JIKOV cured it with standard Jawa jetting, why pay more for an Amal? It may be a repro Amal made in the same Taiwanese factory where JiKOV's are now made.
The cheapest diesel car on the market ,the Dacia Sandero has the same engine as the Mercedes A Class!

SED Sci

未讀,
2020年12月20日 中午12:41:152020/12/20
收件者:Guzzi Singles
Patrick, the Amal 289 series will have larger venturis than the 276.  Final year of original production for the 276 & 289 carbs was 1954.  I think the last years of Falcones may have used the Dellorto VHB and have read they work well.  The worn out MD26 that came with the GTV never worked right (and is incorrect) so I've installed a PHBH 28 I had and it has been a struggle to get the transition off idle right.  It would have been much simpler (and possibly cheaper!) to buy the correct reconditioned MD27 Dellorto from Italy.  If you want to they a PHBH I can get you close with the set-up, but it's not quite right yet.

Paul Marx

未讀,
2020年12月20日 下午1:10:472020/12/20
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Would the Jikov slide be compatible with the Dell'Orto carb body?
Would allow to regain a few year's wear?

Paul

Andrew Nahum

未讀,
2020年12月20日 下午2:13:442020/12/20
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone tried a Mikuni?  People who’ve put them on old Brit bikes say starting, idling and everything is better. Luckily my Airone starts and tonks along ok on the Dellorto so I won’t be experimenting.

On 20 Dec 2020, at 12:12, 'Gordon de la Mare' via Guzzi Singles <guzzi-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Luc Racine

未讀,
2020年12月21日 上午9:02:172020/12/21
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul, the JIKOV is either 24 or 26 mm while the Dellorto is 25.

pouma1954

未讀,
2020年12月21日 上午10:45:182020/12/21
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Venturi diameter.

Envoyé depuis mon appareil Galaxy

De : Phil Mac <philmac.c...@gmail.com>
Date : 08/07/2021 13:35 (GMT+01:00)
À : Guzzi Singles <guzzi-...@googlegroups.com>

Alan Comfort

未讀,
2021年7月8日 上午8:11:452021/7/8
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure that the throttle slide is not hung up by the cable? With the throttle stop screw fully backed out, the throttle slide bottomed out and the cable adjusted to have 2 mm of free play the engine should not run at all (idle adjustment too low). If the engine runs with the slide fully bottomed out, then you may have an air leak at the carburetor flange or at the connection between the engine and the intake tube. Spray a little carb cleaner on these joints while the engine is running. If the engine speeds up, you have found your leak.
If that brings no joy, then carefully look at the bottom of the slide and its interface with the carb to see if there is any stray casting material that prevents a full closing of the throttle slide.

Luc Racine

未讀,
2021年7月8日 上午9:11:152021/7/8
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi to all, most Jikov come with a 50 pilot, i fitted a 45 but its still a bit rich on tickover and realy does not need a tickle at all when hot.
I dont think a 40 is availlable so i might have to make one some day.
I after checking all the steps described in  Allan 's post and everything seems ok , a smaller pilot jet is what you need (specially if she is 8 stroking)
Good Luck!

kste...@gmail.com

未讀,
2021年7月8日 上午9:14:032021/7/8
收件者:Guzzi Singles
That’s exactly what happened to mine. My inexperienced hands allowed the cable to get hung up and until I fixed it the revs were always too high

Sent from myMail for iOS

Thursday, 8 July 2021, 22:11 +1000 from alan.c...@gmail.com <alan.c...@gmail.com>:

Roger Rowland

未讀,
2021年7月8日 下午1:27:332021/7/8
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
This may help, while fiddling with a T3 I realised that without much difficulty you could completely cut off one cylinder by lowering the slide ie bottoming it out. The airway must have been completely sealed including air to the pilot jet? Perhaps the Jikov is just open to far ?
On my Falcone I was also puzzled by the float level and what it should be. On mine I think the needle had 5 groves and the jet itself an internal nut. Why? It almost seemed to be adjustable. The level is far higher than I expected and noticed the needle didn’t always seal,had to lap the cone/seat in.
                           Fixed in my mind was the idea that petrol level is below the main jet, but my recent endeavours have questioned that, the float level appears to be just below hole by pilot jet at the back of the carb.
                          Another anomaly heard a lot about worn slides etc and noted that there was no seal at the cable entry position. Rode home one day and the throttle stop screw had fallen out a gapping hole the bike ran fine ? Sealing the cables made no difference so can’t see how 4 thou of wear .1mm is going to be critical. Perhaps someone can enlighten me/us.
The Falcone has a number of odd features that seem to be contrary to normal wisdom in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone

On 8 Jul 2021, at 13:11, Alan Comfort <alan.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

Luc Racine

未讀,
2021年7月8日 下午1:37:082021/7/8
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com

Hi to all,
 Most Jikov come with a 50 pilot, I fitted a 45 (available) but its still a bit rich on tickover and really does not need a tickle at all when hot.
I dont think a 40 is available so i might have to make one some day.
 If After checking all the steps described in  Alan's post  everything seems ok , a smaller pilot jet is what you need (specially if she is 8 stroking)
Good Luck!

Rick Yamane

未讀,
2021年7月8日 晚上7:27:452021/7/8
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com

One thing to keep in mind. You need to have more air to have a higher idle. Back out the throttle slide screw all the way and work from there. If the idle still runs high or hangs up after beginning adjustment the first thing I would check for is an air leak. An air leak can also mean a worn slide.

Rick

Be careful too. Not sure about the Jikov concentric but the side float carbs have very thin, light slides. You can probably muck one up by turning in the slide screw and not pulling it up using the grip. The light slide may also add to the difficulty tuning.

Rod Schmidt

未讀,
2021年7月8日 晚上11:15:182021/7/8
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Made manifold for gt-17 fitted Jikov, 2nd kick raised slide stop 3/4 turn, less than a half turn more on idle jet.
Never run better. Idles very slow
Happy

Sent from my iPhone

Phil Mac

未讀,
2021年7月9日 上午9:30:192021/7/9
收件者:Guzzi Singles
Thanks for all your suggestions guys - turned out to be the simplest, I didn't have quite enough slack in the cable at the carb end lifting the slide just a fraction when in the 'closed' position. All sorted now. Runs considerably better and seems to start easier too. All bonuses and in addition I can keep running the bike whilst I find someone (Doctor Joe?) to refurb the SSF25

Phil

Luc Racine

未讀,
2021年7月9日 上午9:56:272021/7/9
收件者:guzzi-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil, i had sent my dellorto to Dr Joe Pletersky (if this is the Joe you mentionned?),
He has redone a good few very old carbs for me succesfully in the past but was unable to undo the bottom nut holding the block without risking to brake the body, heat,freeze etc made no diference and he posted it back.
Worth a try, ...may be...

Alan Comfort

未讀,
2021年7月9日 下午6:00:582021/7/9