Academic licence validation

ric...@internode.on.net

Jul 18, 2011, 11:46:17 PM7/18/11
to Gurobi Optimization
I am trying to validate an Academic licence at the University of
Sydney using grbgetkey. Unfortunately, until a cable is repaired we
are forced to connect to the Universities network via VPN.

I have several problems:
(1) The connection to the internet is via a University of Sydney proxy
server and grbgetkey is unable to connect to www.gurobi.com. The
troubleshooting section of the Gurobi website states that grbgetkey
does not work with a proxy server.
(2) Even if I could connect to www.gurobi .com, the Universities VPN
setup uses split tunnelling for internet traffic, so to Gurobi I
suspect it would appear as if I am not connected to the Universities
network.

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Greg Glockner

Jul 19, 2011, 9:59:07 AM7/19/11
to gur...@googlegroups.com
Validation is done by lookup of your IP address; it needs to show your computer is connected to your university network. So either you have to connect the computer to the university network, or your VPN connection needs to be configured so that HTTP traffic goes through the university network.

George Karpenkov

May 27, 2012, 10:26:15 PM5/27/12
to gur...@googlegroups.com
I know this thread is quite old, but I'm also under proxy in the University of Sydney and I have the same error -- the validator fails to obtain the key.

To the original poster -- have you managed to get it working?

To the Gurobi team -- is there any other way to validate the academic/student status from within the university if the institution enforces a proxy?

Greg Glockner

May 28, 2012, 6:49:19 PM5/28/12
to gur...@googlegroups.com
> To the Gurobi team -- is there any other way to validate the academic/student status from within the university if the institution enforces a proxy?

The version of grbgetkey that ships with Gurobi Optimizer 5.0.0 and later should be compatible with many, if not most, proxy servers.

Neal Young

Oct 21, 2013, 7:52:39 PM10/21/13
to gur...@googlegroups.com

As of Oct. 2013, you can work around this by setting up an ssh tunnel and using the -server option to grbgetkey:

$ ssh -L8008:apps.gurobi.com:8008 USER@WORKHOST
$ grbgetkey --server=127.0.0.1 --verbose abcdefgh-1234-1234-1234-123456789abc

Ephson Effa

Jun 19, 2014, 9:47:40 AM6/19/14
to gur...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neal,
I'm trying to get the ssh tunneling to work but Im not sure, maybe Im not doing it right. Could you please be more elaborate on how to this stuff. Im on a deadline with the project Im working on and I really the student license in order to progress.

Thanks
NB: Not really a genius when it comes to networking.

LS

Apr 12, 2015, 12:02:41 AM4/12/15
to gur...@googlegroups.com, leoc...@gmail.com
Hi,
I am currently trying to install a licenses for gurobi 5.0.2 and it is able to get it on to my computer but won't validate. I get the error Unable to contact key server 'apps.gurobi.com'.  I am connected to the universities network and as far as I can tell I am not using any proxy servers.  Does any one have a reason why this is not validating? I am really stuck! any help would be appreciated greatly!

Greg Glockner

Apr 12, 2015, 12:25:37 AM4/12/15
to gur...@googlegroups.com, leoc...@gmail.com
Version 5.0 validation is no longer supported. Please upgrade to the latest version and install its key.

Niels Karowski

Apr 21, 2015, 1:11:32 PM4/21/15
to gur...@googlegroups.com, leoc...@gmail.com
Does that mean that Gurobi is not usable anylonger on 32 bit Linux even though version 5.0.2  is still offered for download? Most of my licenses expired and I would like to renew them.

Greg Glockner

Apr 21, 2015, 1:27:21 PM4/21/15
to gur...@googlegroups.com, leoc...@gmail.com
> Does that mean that Gurobi is not usable anylonger on 32 bit Linux even though version 5.0.2 is still offered for download?

Version 5.0.2 is 3 years old and it is provided today only for commercial customers.

Academic researchers should always use the latest version, currently 6.0.3, which is available for 32-bit Windows, 64-bit Windows, 64-bit Linux and 64-bit Mac OS X.

Neal Young

Jan 2, 2016, 7:41:31 AM1/2/16
to Gurobi Optimization, leoc...@gmail.com
For the record as of Jan 1 2016 it looks like the port to forward has changed from 8008 to 80.  So you'll need to use

% ssh -L80:apps.gurobi.com:80 USER@WORKHOST

And note that only root can forward port 80, so you might want to sudo that.

-Neal

Oscar González

Jan 27, 2016, 7:30:21 PM1/27/16
to Gurobi Optimization, leoc...@gmail.com, poc...@hotmail.com
hello as I install my academic license by setting up an ssh tunnel and using the -server option to grbgetkey?

Greg Glockner

Jan 27, 2016, 7:35:59 PM1/27/16
to gur...@googlegroups.com
> hello as I install my academic license by setting up an ssh tunnel and using the -server option to grbgetkey?

If you can connect your computer to the university network, you should be able to install a license key. Once the license key is installed, the network connection is no longer required.

If you cannot connect the computer via a physical network, you can try VPN or ssh, provided that you route traffic on port 80 to your university network.

If all else fails, contact support AT gurobi DOT com for instructions on how to verify your eligibility via a manual process.

pochomath

Jan 28, 2016, 10:20:14 AM1/28/16
to gur...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

what are the commands to ubuntu to validate my academic Gurobi's license, I do not have physical access but if VPN Access. Can you help me please.

--

---

Renan Garcia

Jan 28, 2016, 11:11:04 AM1/28/16
to gur...@googlegroups.com
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Gurobi Optimization" group.

Simon Kassing

Sep 30, 2016, 8:18:05 AM9/30/16
to Gurobi Optimization
It is also possible for non-root users for your beefy machine. Basically you set port 8080 to go to port 80 of apps.gurobi.com and then specify that grbgetkey needs to use 8080.

1) Get IP of local workstation X with Internet connection (which is ofc. reachable by beefy machine via intranet)
2) Install sshserver on local workstation X
3) Install gurobi on the beefy machine by copying tar and extract it, set ~/.bashrc environment things
4) Try out executing gurobi_cl on beefy machine, it should say there is no valid license on machine
5) ssh to the beefy machine and execute ssh -L 8008:apps.gurobi.com:80 <USERNAME>@localWorkStationXIP
6) ssh with another session to the beefy machine and execute grbgetkey --server=127.0.0.1 --port=8080 -- verbose xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxx

Hope this helps someone in the future

Jeffrey Hanson

Apr 11, 2017, 2:24:56 AM4/11/17
to Gurobi Optimization
I just wanted to say thank you very much to Simon Kassing for posting these instructions.

They worked perfectly!

Simon Kassing

Nov 20, 2017, 11:29:01 AM11/20/17
to Gurobi Optimization
Just wanted to mention that:
- On step (5) I made a typo: it should be port 8080 not 8008 (so: ssh -L 8080:apps.gurobi.com:80 <USERNAME>@ localWorkStationXIP )
- On step (6) I made a typo: should be --verbose, not with a space in-between the -- and the verbose (so: grbgetkey --server=127.0.0.1 --port=8080 --verbose xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxx )

Neal Young

May 24, 2018, 1:56:41 AM5/24/18
to Gurobi Optimization

Updating with what worked for me in May 2018 (Gurobi 8).

From the remote machine that you want to install the license on, execute the following command:

% sudo ssh -L80:apps.gurobi.com:80 USER@HOST

Then in a different window, before exiting the ssh session, execute the following comment:

% grbgetkey --http --server=127.0.0.1 --verbose abcdefgh-1234-1234-1234-123456789abc

(replace the last string with your Gurobi license key)

Matthias Rost

May 24, 2018, 8:37:56 AM5/24/18
to Gurobi Optimization
Hi guys,
thanks for the instructions Simon!
I ran into some trouble as proxychains didn't do the trick with Gurobi 8.0 (while it always worked before...)
Specifically, it only worked using the local port 8080.
@Gurobi Team: Could you maybe include this information somewhere in the gurobi documentation?
Best wishes,
Matthias