Post v0.2.0 news

Gummbum

Jun 13, 2011, 10:42:02 AM6/13/11
to Gummworld2
Howdy, folks.

It's been a while since v0.2.0 was released. Thought I'd drop in and
give a brief update.

I've been kinda lazily focusing on seamless map rendering the past
couple months. It started as a proof of concept with a couple demos
implementing no small amount of glue code. While I would hate to do
that for every project in which I wanted to link maps, the demos
proved that the library could be extended for this purpose.

So I went all out and built a SuperMap class that lines up a
rectangular grid of TMX maps, and handles them all with a good amount
of automagic: loading, unloading, entering, exiting, renderering. It
is pretty slick, if I do say so myself. It's extremely easy to use,
and exacts surprisingly little overhead to draw the worst case of four
maps meeting at a corner.

What this means is that building huge, seamless worlds is now possible
given a moderate amount of memory and CPU.

I've been withholding the release because integrating SuperMap
required a significant amount of rewrite, a fair bit internally and
changes to the Map API. Some of the existing demos are currently
broken, and may not be updated for a while, depending on DR0ID's
pytmxloader project which is under heavy construction. pytmxloader's
API will be changing dramatically, for the better, and hopefully very
soon. But that means there will be more changes in Gummworld2,
possibly to the API. I think it would be best to release all the
impacting changes at once.

If you have a SVN client you can take SuperMap out for a spin: "svn
checkout http://gummworld2.googlecode.com/svn/branch/tiled2 gummworld2-
read-only". See the new supermap.py and the couple examples.

I'd like your feedback.

Gumm