Stop the Wetland Destruction in Charleston, SC! Fw: TAKE ACTION: Stop the 526 Extension

Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition

Mar 28, 2024, 4:28:59 PMMar 28
to gullah...@googlegroups.com
Webe Gullah/Geechee Anointed Peepol! Lun mo bout who webe www.gullahgeecheenation.com

----- Forwarded Message -----

Submit comments by April 9!

The S.C. Department of Transportation has submitted an application to fill in over 38 acres of wetlands to construct the I-526/Mark Clark Extension. You can find the full application here

This is a greater wetland impact than was predicted in previous environmental assessments for the project, and it comes before Charleston County residents have had the opportunity to vote on whether they will approve a new sales tax to fund the $2.3 billion project.

Please take a few moments to email comments on this application to T. Brian Hardee with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers by April 9.

Take a look at the proposed route below. The construction impacts are far-reaching, and would be felt heavily throughout communities around the Charleston area for years to come. Although SCDOT has not shared a predicted completion date, we know that a best case scenario takes this project into the next decade, with significant reverberating effects well beyond that.

Proposed route for I-526 Extension / S.C. Department of Transportation

The costs and harmful impacts of this outdated highway project seem to grow by the month. And the fact that this permit application was submitted before Charleston County voters have a chance to cast their vote in November suggests that decision-makers don’t really care whether residents support this overpriced, irresponsible project—even though they’re asking residents to pay the bill!

Fortunately, you have a chance to weigh-in on the permit application. Submit comments to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control to share your concern with filling over 38 acres of wetlands to build a 9.5 mile road that will destroy wetlands, disrupt communities, and lead to more development on rural Johns Island.

Click here for points to consider when drafting your comments, and instructions for how to submit. Please make sure to personalize your comments and request public hearings!

Please feel free to reach out with any questions or ideas. You can respond directly to this email or give me a call at (843) 723-5127

Yours,

Robby

With your help, the Coastal Conservation League protects
South Carolina’s coastal communities and natural resources.

Learn more and get involved at coastalconservationleague.org.

FacebookTwitterInstagram

© 2022 Coastal Conservation League. All rights reserved.