Fw: 🚨 An update on the fight against H.5118

Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition

Feb 28, 2024, 2:55:26 PMFeb 28
to gullah...@googlegroups.com

Webe Gullah/Geechee Anointed Peepol! Lun mo bout who webe www.gullahgeecheenation.com

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Kendra @ CVSC <ken...@cvsc.org>

Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2024 at 02:33:35 PM EST
Subject: 🚨 An update on the fight against H.5118

Our united purpose sent an unequivocally strong message to both legislators and the utilities. However, we must also acknowledge that, despite valiant efforts, your testimonies and voices were not prioritized as they should have been.

Dear friend,

I hope this email finds you well and still buzzing with the energy of yesterday's incredible display of advocacy at the Statehouse. Your dedication and commitment to speaking out against H.5118 left us in awe, and we cannot express enough gratitude for every one of you who has taken part in the fight against utility greed.

We want to thank our advocates for their flexibility and resilience as we navigated the ever-changing rooms for the hearing. It was truly remarkable to witness the overflow room have an additional overflow room—proof of the sheer magnitude of our collective efforts. Your presence made a profound impact, and we have so much to be proud of.

However, we must also acknowledge that, despite valiant efforts, your testimonies and voices were not prioritized as they should have been. Utility executives, out-of-town petroleum interests, and utility-backed special interests were given priority over voter voices. While we’re disappointed that your voice was not heard, know that your presence made a huge difference. Lawmakers, utility monopolies, and media took notice and now know that concerned communities across South Carolina are ready to fight to stop this dangerous legislation.

This hearing was the first step of many. As the fight progresses, CVSC will continue to push back against this legislation AND we will continue to fight to uplift voices of concerned voters and communities.

Looking ahead: The subcommittee will reconvene briefly tomorrow morning, February 29th, from 9:00 am - 10:00 am. Your presence alone will make a difference, whether you choose to testify or not. While it's uncertain how many will be able to speak or in what order, your continued support is invaluable.

Please contact Meagan Diedolf, at mea...@cvsc.org and John Brooker at jbro...@cvsc.org if you can attend tomorrow morning. Note: there is a chance—though unconfirmed at present—that the committee may reconvene again tomorrow afternoon following the House’s adjournment.

We are advocating for additional time to testify next week, although confirmation has yet to be received. In the event that additional time is not granted, rest assured that your voices will still be heard. There is an opportunity to submit written testimony to the subcommittee—stay tuned for further updates.

In closing, I want to emphasize that while this fight is not over, we’re in a stronger position because of the time, energy, and passion you all displayed yesterday. Together, we will continue to advocate for what is right, just, and fair for the people of South Carolina.

With gratitude and in solidarity,

Kendra Mallett-Brunson

Senior VP of Collaboration and Impact

P.S. Check out this article from The State that gives some more insight to our Energy Advocacy Day yesterday.

Forward this email to friends and family and encourage them to sign up for our emails to become a part of CVSC and the conservation movement!

FacebookTwitterInstagramLinkedIn

CVSC
712 Richland St.
Suite A