Fw: 24 Hours To Go! Please Submit 526 Army Corps/DHEC Permit Comments TODAY!

1 view

Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition

Apr 8, 2024, 1:40:17 PMApr 8
to gullah...@googlegroups.com

Webe Gullah/Geechee Anointed Peepol! Lun mo bout who webe www.gullahgeecheenation.com

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Nix526 <infon...@gmail.com>
To: Nix fivetwentysix <infon...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, April 8, 2024 at 01:11:52 PM EDT
Subject: 24 Hours To Go! Please Submit 526 Army Corps/DHEC Permit Comments TODAY!

Greetings Nixers!!!

We have only heard back from about 10 people letting us know they submitted their emails/comments to Army Corps and DHEC.  There are 500+ folks on our mailing list so we have got to do better than this!

We have until tomorrow afternoon (April 9) to submit our comments to Army Corps + DHEC regarding the permit application submitted by SCDOT.  This permit is asking to fill in 38 acres of wetlands in order to extend 526 through the sea islands.

Please take 10 minutes NOW and get your emails submitted to BOTH agencies.  Your emails and comments are vital to defeating 526 and we need everyone to write.

When emailing Mr. Hardee with Army Corps of Engineers, please make sure to include the file number in the subject line (SAC-2010-00642).  This is very important because we don't want to give them any reason to dismiss any of our emails.

The Details:

SCDOT has submitted a permit application to fill in over 38 acres of wetlands in order to extend 526.  The public is being asked to weigh in by submitting comments regarding this permit application.  Please submit comments to each of the following agencies: the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and SCDHEC by April 9.  But, as we said earlier, please take a few minutes today and submit them while it is fresh on your mind!  ;)

Denial of these permits can stop 526, therefore, hearing immense opposition from the public is critical.  Ask your friends and family members to submit comments as well.

Here are the applications from each agency along with the contact information.  *Take note, ACOE is asking for emails and SCDHEC has provided a comment form on their website.  For ease, you can simply cut and paste your emailed comment to ACOE into the comment form on DHEC's website.

Army Corp of Engineers:
Send comments to tony.b...@usace.army.mil Include the file number in the subject line SAC-2010-00642

Mailing address:   U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
                             ATTN: REGULATORY DIVISION
                             69A HAGOOD AVENUE
                             CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA 29403-5107
                            (Include file number here as well SAC-2010-00642

SCDHEC/OCRM:
Permit application including comment form  Public Notice - Details - ePermitting (sc.gov)
*Comment form is on the far right hand side.

Share them with us! (But do not CC or BCC us on your comments to these agencies please!)  Once you have submitted your comments to both agencies, we would love to submit a steady flow to the Post and Courier over the next few weeks.

Talking Points (Provided by The Coastal Conservation League):

*Please submit a comment using your own words targeting these bulleted points.  Make it your own rather than copying what we have here verbatim.

1. Destruction of wetlands and other important waterways

The proposed 526 Extension would cut through marine ecosystems and freshwater wetlands that are integral to water quality in the already-impaired Stono River. The proposed route would destroy over 38 acres of wetlands and other waters of the United States, including freshwater, wetlands, ponds, and tidal salt marshes.

Wetlands provide important ecosystem services to nearby communities through flood storage and wave buffering; that role has become increasingly valuable in light of the region’s recent exposure to storm hazards, which is only projected to worsen due to climate change. Wetlands also provide wildlife habitat, fish nurseries, water purification, erosion control, food supply, and carbon storage.

(We must add that the 38 acres of wetlands does not include the additional acres that will be impacted due to shading from the bridges.  According to National Marine Fisheries, it would be closer to 70 acres impacted directly or through shading.  (Post and Courier, September 2010)

2. It won’t shorten your commute

Charleston County’s claims that the 526 Extension will reduce congestion and enhance mobility are based on faulty traffic predictions and ignore cheaper, more effective alternatives to reduce congestion and increase mobility.  (Please mention how other less damaging and cheaper alternatives were thrown out prematurely.)

3. Susceptibility to future flooding

The proposed 526 Extension crosses a low-lying coastal ecosystem. Portions of the project close to sea-level could be exposed to several feet of water with even a low-level hurricane. Within the next decade, we could also see effects from tidal flooding in certain areas.

 4. Restriction of access to existing natural and recreational spaces

The proposed 526 Extension will destroy 32 acres of James Island County Park, which includes a climbing wall, bouldering wall, challenge and ropes course, park headquarters building, public access to a creek, over three acres of park wetlands, habitat for plants and wildlife, and parts of the disc golf course, campground and associated cottages.

 5. Extending brings more development pressures

The Mark Clark Extension will induce additional suburban development in rural areas of Johns Island which will make traffic congestion worse and lead to additional impacts to wetlands and other critical natural resources. We saw this happen dramatically in Mount Pleasant when 526 was extended across the Cooper River in 1992.

 6. Displacement and disturbance of community health and well-being

The 526 Extension will disproportionately impact environmental justice communities. The proposed route bisects or borders seven census blocks with disproportionately low-wealth or minority residents. Residents along the route will either be forced out of their homes or subjected to significant and harmful air, water, and noise pollution.

 7. Potential for an unfinished mess (This permit specifically mentions splitting the project into two phases.)

Breaking the 526 Extension into two distinct phases introduces news risks that only portions of the project would be completed. This would have significant impacts on the overall purpose and need of the entire project and could have wide-ranging negative impacts that have not been thoroughly evaluated.

8. Request a Public Hearing: Make sure to include a specific request for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control to host public hearings in communities directly impacted by the 526 Extension

 Reasons for public hearings include:

  • Hosting an in-person public hearing is more equitable, since not everyone has reliable access to the resources necessary to submit comments independently.
  • This is a massive infrastructure project that will impact multiple communities, including West Ashley, Johns Island, and James Island. For a project of this size and scope, it is imperative that the public is adequately informed and has ample opportunity to share their thoughts and concerns.
  • 38.5 acres of wetland impacts is very large and impactful, much larger than average permit applications–even for other road/infrastructure projects. For example, the Main Road Flyover (Main Road Segment A) at the intersection of Main Road and Savannah Highway would impact less than 10 acres of wetlands.
Thank you all for submitting these comments today!  Let's get 'em!
Your friends at Nix526