Distance Learning and Private Sessions in LA with Martin Chavez

Al

Dec 17, 2015, 4:15:49 PM12/17/15
to GUIDED CHAOS SELF-DEFENSE FORUM

I was fortunate enough to have 3 private training sessions with Martin Chavez in LA over the last few weeks. Being a distance learner these opportunities are invaluable.

I've been a distance learner for over 6 years now and believe me it can be frustrating to know that on the other side of the world, classes are on hand to people who are clueless as to how amazing this stuff is and how skilled many of the trainers really are.

So as a distance learner I go in fits and starts. Sometimes there are periods where I train diligently and others where 'life' seems to take over and I don't do anything for a few months.

Hands down the most productive times in my journey are when I get to a workshop or have a private session or two. The learning is always rapid, exciting and makes the distance journey worthwhile and fulfilling.

Maybe because of the journey so far, I don't know really... but I feel that the time with Martin was a tipping point for me. His training allowed me to really connect once again with all the principles and how they all linked up as one... I got the gestalt of the thing at a new deeper level.

During the sessions I clearly experienced where my gaps where in my training and ability and Martin guided me skillfully to amend and improve.

Martin taught the art as 'self inquiry' I very much appreciated this approach. I was reminded to be mindful to my entire body through each training drill, how my shoulders could tense when I focused on a vacuum walk for example. So basic, but as a distance learner so easy to not pick up on.

I felt that Martin made the art simple and direct again for me. As a distance leaner with some direct experience I can get caught up in my own complexity, where really at the end of the day, I just need to be unavailable yet unavoidable.

I feel I  can now re-focus my self on my own journey, on my own self inquiry through movement, experience what I'm doing as an awareness based movement / meditation. This gives me far more focus and purpose as a distance learner.

What continues to amaze me is how all of the high level practitioners I have had the good fortune to train with express this art uniquely yet so similarly. It's a true testament to the approach of training principles not techniques.

So to conclude, I would like to say a big thanks to Martin for his time and skill...

If your in LA and have a genuine desire to learn this art and you are not knocking down his door to start / join a training group then I'd have to say you are wasting a massive opportunity.

all the best

Al (Australia)

Admin

Dec 17, 2015, 5:21:10 PM12/17/15
to GUIDED CHAOS SELF-DEFENSE FORUM
Wow! Thanks Al, amazing post! Mind if I put this on facebook and our website?
--MattK

Al

Dec 17, 2015, 7:27:20 PM12/17/15
to GUIDED CHAOS SELF-DEFENSE FORUM
by all means...

Ari

Dec 20, 2015, 9:44:46 AM12/20/15
to GUIDED CHAOS SELF-DEFENSE FORUM
For an opportunity for YOU to train with Martin, contact him or me about a training session planned for December 23 in Encinitas, CA. Please contact me through internalselfdefense.com if you want to join in.