Statistics Control Process

benikenobi

May 27, 2016, 4:41:41 PM5/27/16
to Guerrilla Capacity Planning
Hi,

I dont know if this question for this site but I think people with this background could help. Could anybody suggest books or references abount CumSum and Shewhart control charts? I am thinking to use this kind of tecniques to monitor 2.000.000 devices. Does it make sense?

Thanks in advance

Scott Johnson

May 27, 2016, 5:14:30 PM5/27/16
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
I'd say Understanding Statistical Process Control by Wheeler or Statistical Process Control by Oakland.  Wheeler is not a big fan of six sigma.  His belief to be world class is to be on target with minimum variance.  Not a field I'm real familiar with tho'

Regards,

Scott Johnson

DrQ

May 27, 2016, 5:25:39 PM5/27/16
to Guerrilla Capacity Planning
There's gobs of stuff about this subject on the web, but it helps to get the name right: Statistical Process Control or SPC (as Scott has indicated).

Process refers to a manufacturing process and the usual context is monitoring some kind of "quality" of the process, e.g., number of defects.
Defects are discrete counts, viz., a single metric. The UCL and LCL control limits are chosen to be a 3σ above and below the statistical mean.
That, in turn, assumes a Gaussian distribution for the defects (which may or may not be true).

With that as background, how do you anticipate applying SPC to 2 gazillion "devices"?

Scott Johnson

May 27, 2016, 11:11:16 PM5/27/16
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
You might want to look at the R package spc for Shewhart control charts

Look at pg 103

Package ‘spc’

Regards,

Scott Johnson