Microservices?

DrQ

Oct 20, 2015, 9:16:20 PM10/20/15
to Guerrilla Capacity Planning
This has become a trendy buzzword, especially since Amazon launched their Lambda service last November.

Does anyone disagree with the following Guerrilla-style '25 words or less' description?: Personal demons in the cloud.

James Newsom

Oct 20, 2015, 11:49:37 PM10/20/15
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
Considering the isolated singular functions of the microservices wouldn't a better name be "Personal daemons in the cloud?" I did a quick look-see and didn't see anything related to metrics collection so those personal daemons could become personal demons.

James

On 10/20/2015 20:16, 'DrQ' via Guerrilla Capacity Planning wrote:
This has become a trendy buzzword, especially since Amazon launched their Lambda service last November.

Does anyone disagree with the following Guerrilla-style '25 words or less' description?: Personal demons in the cloud.

KriRad

DrQ

Jan 11, 2016, 11:29:53 AM1/11/16
to Guerrilla Capacity Planning
It turns out that there was a talk about microservices at CMG'15. Very little on performance but it gave quite a good overview.

At the end of the talk, I decided to try out my 25-word def on the presenter. It threw him. However, when the session ended, someone from the audience came over to me and suggested that deamon wasn't quite right b/c they don't communicate with each other. After some discussion, we agreed on changing deamon to agent.

Sometimes you can learn more from an audience than a presentation. ;-)

Mike Brunt

Jan 11, 2016, 12:27:21 PM1/11/16
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
Did you share those 25 words somewhere?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 6:16 PM, 'DrQ' via Guerrilla Capacity Planning <guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
This has become a trendy buzzword, especially since Amazon launched their Lambda service last November.

Does anyone disagree with the following Guerrilla-style '25 words or less' description?: Personal demons in the cloud.

Kind Regards - Mike Brunt
Bringing Technology To Food Via Permaculture
Cell: 424.220.9548
http://www.foodscaping.co
Twitter @cfwhisperer

DrQ

Jan 11, 2016, 12:32:33 PM1/11/16
to Guerrilla Capacity Planning
Here. :-)

Still road-testing. Now tuned to be: Microservices are personal agents in the cloud.

Do you buy it?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 6:16 PM, 'DrQ' via Guerrilla Capacity Planning <guerrilla-capacity-planning@googlegroups.com> wrote:
This has become a trendy buzzword, especially since Amazon launched their Lambda service last November.

Does anyone disagree with the following Guerrilla-style '25 words or less' description?: Personal demons in the cloud.

Alexander Podelko

Jan 11, 2016, 1:23:47 PM1/11/16
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
Why personal? My understanding is that they are rather public - used by other services.

Mike Brunt

Jan 11, 2016, 1:23:50 PM1/11/16
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, the day will come when the energy consumption of mega data-centers will become a huge issue and in truth it comes right back down to capacity planning or more to the point, the lack of it.  Sorry if I seem to be "tangenting" off here.  Personally I would like to see a scientific study on the whole era of virtualization and Cloud infrastructure as it pertains to energy consumption effects.  My feeling is that the abstractions of both have impacted overall performance characteristics negatively and that this has been masked by continually ramping up the hardware needed to compensate.  Another real pain in the bottom, with Amazon in particular, is the constant change and adding of services, it makes looking for relevant technical documents, difficult.  Then there is the subject of profitability which is hard to pin down for Amazon.

Those are my thoughts, which may not be relevant to the spirit of this discussion.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 9:32 AM, 'DrQ' via Guerrilla Capacity Planning <guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Here. :-)

Still road-testing. Now tuned to be: Microservices are personal agents in the cloud.

Do you buy it?

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 9:27:21 AM UTC-8, Mike Brunt wrote:
Did you share those 25 words somewhere?
On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 6:16 PM, 'DrQ' via Guerrilla Capacity Planning <guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
This has become a trendy buzzword, especially since Amazon launched their Lambda service last November.

Does anyone disagree with the following Guerrilla-style '25 words or less' description?: Personal demons in the cloud.

Kind Regards - Mike Brunt
Bringing Technology To Food Via Permaculture
Cell: 424.220.9548
http://www.foodscaping.co
Twitter @cfwhisperer

DrQ

Jan 11, 2016, 1:44:10 PM1/11/16
to Guerrilla Capacity Planning, apod...@yahoo.com
'Personal' was intended to capture the notion that the user interacts via a smartphone app and m/s works on the user's stuff.
But maybe that's not really much different from standard client/server architecture. Also not sure if the 'agent' just sits there 'listening' or gets fired up on request.

Do you know?

From: 'DrQ' via Guerrilla Capacity Planning <guerrilla-capacity-planning@googlegroups.com>
To: Guerrilla Capacity Planning <guerrilla-capacity-planning@googlegroups.com>

DrQ

Jan 11, 2016, 1:47:09 PM1/11/16

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 10:23:50 AM UTC-8, Mike Brunt wrote:
Thank you, the day will come when the energy consumption of mega data-centers will become a huge issue and in truth it comes right back down to capacity planning or more to the point, the lack of it.  Sorry if I seem to be "tangenting" off here.  Personally I would like to see a scientific study on the whole era of virtualization and Cloud infrastructure as it pertains to energy consumption effects.  My feeling is that the abstractions of both have impacted overall performance characteristics negatively and that this has been masked by continually ramping up the hardware needed to compensate.  Another real pain in the bottom, with Amazon in particular, is the constant change and adding of services, it makes looking for relevant technical documents, difficult.  Then there is the subject of profitability which is hard to pin down for Amazon.

On this last point ... From the Twittersphere

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 9:32 AM, 'DrQ' via Guerrilla Capacity Planning <guerrilla-capacity-planning@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Here. :-)

Still road-testing. Now tuned to be: Microservices are personal agents in the cloud.

Do you buy it?

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 9:27:21 AM UTC-8, Mike Brunt wrote:
Did you share those 25 words somewhere?
On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 6:16 PM, 'DrQ' via Guerrilla Capacity Planning <guerrilla-capacity-planning@googlegroups.com> wrote:
This has become a trendy buzzword, especially since Amazon launched their Lambda service last November.

Does anyone disagree with the following Guerrilla-style '25 words or less' description?: Personal demons in the cloud.

Kind Regards - Mike Brunt
Bringing Technology To Food Via Permaculture
Cell: 424.220.9548
http://www.foodscaping.co
Twitter @cfwhisperer

steve jenkin

Jan 11, 2016, 4:01:04 PM1/11/16
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
Neil has, typically, chosen a hard question.

“The Register” does a good job in reporting Technology and recently took a stab at this question
They couldn’t ‘nail’ it. Link below.

Nobody has talked about ‘locality’ and execution-space as being differentiators (local/remote and in same/diff process space).
There’s also the issue of reuse:
are ‘microservices’ _not_ tied to a single ‘application’ versus ‘components’ being inherently single application?

Are we revisiting Constantine's “Coupling and Cohesion” question for the cloud?

cheers
steve

Microservices are not the same thing as components
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/06/inside_microservices/>

=============

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sje...@canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin

steve jenkin

Lance N.

Jan 12, 2016, 6:44:46 PM1/12/16
to Guerrilla Capacity Planning
This has nothing to do with microservices. Microservices are a technique for distributing the code for a server-side app among containers.

You're thinking of "If This, Then That": https://ifttt.com/

Lance N.

Jan 12, 2016, 9:08:24 PM1/12/16
to Guerrilla Capacity Planning
Most sensible thing I've seen on microservices: http://martinfowler.com/bliki/MonolithFirst.html

But I do agree it's possible to think of small agents that do stuff for you, and Internet-of-Things definitely wants this.

KriRad

Jan 14, 2016, 10:20:46 AM1/14/16
to Guerrilla Capacity Planning
>Microservices are a technique for distributing the code for a server-side app among containers

But 'containers' lead you to a different subject.
One point mentioned by the Spottify presenter is related to availability. If the 'typeahead' search service is unavaiable people may overlook it as long the critical services are up.

Mohan

Alexander Podelko

Jan 14, 2016, 11:09:00 AM1/14/16
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I don't think that containers is a necessary part of microservices (while, I guess, many use it).

My understanding is that they are just completely independent components that may be used by different applications when needed. A next step in object/component/service development fulfilling promises of them a little further.

Jan 14, 2016, 11:16:09 AM1/14/16
to guerrilla-cap...@googlegroups.com

A Microservice Definition: Loosely coupled service oriented architecture with bounded contexts.
If every service has to be updated at the same time it’s not loosely coupled.
If you have to know too much about surrounding services you don’t have a bounded context.