boudin

james cadariu

Jul 9, 2013, 4:38:24 PM7/9/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
This is the summer when we doos it.

who's with me?

noelle lothamer

Jul 9, 2013, 4:49:46 PM7/9/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
As soon as you find the blood, I'm there. But I thought it was more of a fall/winter thing when they start to slaughter, plus I don't think it's advisable safety-wise to make it in hot weather.

Noëlle Lothamer

Freelance writer/ recipe developer
co-owner at Beau Bien Fine Foods
blog: simmer down!
twitter: @simmer_down

Evan Hansen

Jul 9, 2013, 5:58:16 PM7/9/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
Eh, as long as James eats the test batch and comes out OK, I don't care what season we do it.

I'll help in whatever way I can -- which is to say that I'll bring the booze to fuel the process.

-Evan-

Christina Gibbs

Jul 10, 2013, 9:43:01 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
Let's make two batches, one Spanish please.

Christina

Sent from my iPhone

noelle lothamer

Jul 10, 2013, 9:54:10 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
Morcilla!

James

Jul 10, 2013, 9:57:47 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com, gu...@googlegroups.com
I'll talk to the Romanian pork farmer to find out about the seasonality of blood.

Trimis de pe iPhone-ul meu

Marvin Shaouni

Jul 10, 2013, 10:09:46 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
I'm in and second Christina's request.

Thanks,
Marvin Shaouni
Photographer / Collaborator
4444 Second Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201

Brad Greenhill

Jul 10, 2013, 10:09:49 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
With pork blood its not so much the seasonality, but the freshness.
You'll want to get the blood from a freshly slaughtered pig and use it
immediately, ideally while its still warm as you'll notice it starts
to coagulate as it sits. I highly recommend staying away from market
purchased or frozen blood. Happy blood sausaging!

Brad Greenhill
http://www.righteousrojo.com

noelle lothamer

Jul 10, 2013, 10:21:17 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
Right... my point was more that time is of the essence when dealing with such a highly perishable product, and doing it in cooler temps buys you a little more time. But if someone can find fresh blood in the summer and wants to try it, I'm game.

Brad- I take it you've made it before? Any special tips? What style did you make?

Brad Greenhill

Jul 10, 2013, 10:56:44 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
Lets be honest with modern amenities summer and fall inside working
conditions are pretty much the same, although admittedly the sausage
has a fall sensibility and tradition to it. I usually make the
spanish style with onions as well as a little apple, cream sherry and
fresh herbs. I've done it with and without the rice in the sausage.
With the rice versions I've slanted towards a more SE asian approach
with the flavorings. Blood sausage making is an absolute mess so be
prepared to stain a lot of things red and get dirty. I recommend
working with at least one other person on the project and using a
large funnel to stuff the casings. Lastly try and poach the finished
product slowly at barely a simmer. Freeze the portions you aren't
going to use immediately to maximize longterm freshness.

cheers,
Stereo :: Interactive & Design
http://www.stereointeractive.com
http://www.righteousrojo.com

noelle lothamer

Jul 10, 2013, 11:06:10 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
Nice! (Although sadly, my house is lacking the modern convenience of central A/C).
James, perhaps we can put tarps down in your basement?

Clare Pfeiffer

Jul 10, 2013, 11:09:51 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
What a bunch of vampires.
I'm not going to get all bloody and wine-soaked with you guys just now, but I am interested to see/read about and possibly taste the results.

Christina Gibbs

Jul 10, 2013, 11:17:33 AM7/10/13
to gudet
Let's check with Melo Farms, too.
Best,
Christina

Brad Greenhill

Jul 10, 2013, 11:21:36 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
Melo is a good call. They should be able to get you fresh blood when
they take their hogs to slaughter. Most facilities just get rid of the
blood but are happy to save a bucket if you ask.

Marvin Shaouni

Jul 10, 2013, 11:34:38 AM7/10/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
Keep me in the loop while deciding pig farms. Want to document this process from snout to tail.

Thanks,
Marvin Shaouni
Photographer / Collaborator
4444 Second Avenue
Detroit, MI 48201

Marvin Shaouni

Jul 22, 2013, 11:58:02 AM7/22/13
to gu...@googlegroups.com
So, got a tip yesterday from a reliable source that Parrilladas Patagonia restaurant in southwest is serving up blood sausage. I'm going to stop in on Wednesday around 6p to see for myself. Let me know if you're interested in joining? Also, it's a byob type of joint.

Thanks,
Marvin Shaouni
Photographer / Collaborator
4444 Second Avenue