UK GDP since 1900

josl...@googlemail.com

May 8, 2009, 7:50:30 AM5/8/09
to Guardian Data Talk, josl...@googlrmail.com
There is much argument about Thatcher's effect on the UK
competitiveness; right wing commentators think she greatly increased
it; others note that she created the biggest recession since 1948 (up
to now) despite getting almost 15% of the UK income from the North
Sea. A way of examining this is to look at what happened to the UK GDP
in the 1980s. The graphs I've seen show no Thatcher effect, with the
mean GDP rise about the same during the Callaghan years as during
hers. But I want the data as well as a graph.