Licence for using static data taken from spreadsheet?

Gary

Mar 17, 2009, 9:03:13 AM3/17/09
to Guardian Data Talk
Hi. I'd like to publish a chart that I will create myself using data
taken from one of the available spreadsheets. The chart will be static
and I just want to use the current data from the spreadsheet. I'm not
interested in using an API to take live data at the moment.

My question is does this use fall within the T&Cs of use?

Do I still need to register for an API key even though I don't have a
technical requirement to use the API and the spreadsheet is publicly
available anyway without requiring a key?

I read something about having to either delete or refresh my data
every 24 hours. Does that still apply if I haven't used the API to
acquire the data? It would be a bit unfortunate if I had to delete my
chart image file every 24 hours and create a new one based on the
latest version of the spreadsheet - which in reality is only updated
every year because the data shows annual figures published by the
British Government.

If my intended use is okay would I just need to add the Guardian logo
to the chart and that's it? Nothing else? No other caveats? Perhaps my
questions could be added to the existing FAQ?

Thanks.

simon....@guardian.co.uk

Mar 17, 2009, 9:13:22 AM3/17/09
to Gary, Guardian Data Talk
Hi - which data set is it? If it's from the datastore, then it's pretty
much all publicly available and open source - just credit us and the source
for the data.

Simon Rogers
News editor (graphics)
The Guardian

email: simon....@guardian.co.uk

guardian.co.uk

Gary
<woolmergreen@gma
il.com> To
Sent by: Guardian Data Talk
guardian-data-tal <guardian-...@googlegroups.co
k...@googlegroups.co m>
m cc

Subject
17/03/09 13:03 [data talk] Licence for using
static data taken from spreadsheet?

Thanks.

Guardian News & Media has moved. Our new address is:

Kings Place
90 York Way
London N1 9GU
Tel: 020-3353 2000

Guardian Professional and Ad Services are based at 3-7 Herbal Hill, London EC1R 5EJ.

Our Manchester office is based at 1 Scott Place, Manchester M3 3GG. Tel: 0161 908 3830 (Guardian Commercial) or 0161 211 2654 (Finance)
Visit guardian.co.uk - the UK's most popular newspaper website
http://guardian.co.uk http://observer.co.uk

To save up to 33% when you subscribe to the Guardian and the Observer visit
http://www.guardian.co.uk/subscriber

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited
A member of Guardian Media Group PLC
Registered Office
Number 1 Scott Place, Manchester M3 3GG
Registered in England Number 908396

Gary

Mar 17, 2009, 9:21:09 AM3/17/09
to Guardian Data Talk
Hi Simon,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, it's the "UK crime by borough"
spreadsheet from the Datastore. (Would be great if the "by ward" data
is available too!)

Thanks for clarifying.
Gary.