Good way to browse content

Julius Hamilton

Apr 8, 2022, 5:26:39 AM4/8/22
to Guardian Open Platform API Forum
Hey,

I would like to build an iOS app where you can choose a Guardian article and then read it sentence by sentence in translation to practice reading for languages (using DeepL API and Spacy NLP).

I'm considering good ways to employ the API to allow a user to find and select an article.

The endpoints seem to be Content which is searched via "q" and is strictly a keyword search - Tags which searches for tags themselves - and Sections which returns sections of the newspaper.

I believe the simplest way to offer the user a selection of articles would be returning a list of sections, then selecting a section, then returning a list of articles in that section, and then finally returning the article selected itself.

But from what I could see the way the Sections endpoint works is that you query an existing list of sections with a keyword just to see what sections exist. You cannot get a list of article ID's from the Sections API. Or can you?

Even the Single Item endpoint appears to return metadata about a specific article, not the article content (the text) itself.

Am I correct in understanding that the Guardian API does not allow direct access to article content/text? I was curious why this is and if anybody knows any newspapers that provide this?

Thanks very much,
Julius