guard-rspec does not automatically run specs

Saurabh Pushp Raj

Jul 24, 2015, 5:40:10 AM7/24/15
to guard-dev
When I have a grunt serve running on a different front-end project and with the gem guard-livereload installed, guard-rspec does not automatically run specs when a file is saved in my rails project.

The scenario is :
- Run grunt serve on any other frontend project.
- Install the gems guard-livereload and guard-rspec in rails project.
- run guard and save the spec after making changes.
Ideally guard should run the specs for the specfile which has been saved. But this does not happen.

Cezary Baginski

Aug 17, 2015, 4:55:23 PM8/17/15
to guard-dev
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

It's best to open an issue in the Guard project on github: https://github.com/guard/guard/issues

There's also some logging you can turn on - without it, it's hard to work out what the problem is.

See here for hints on how to turn on logging, and what the output means: https://github.com/guard/guard/wiki/Understanding-Guard#debugging

Basically, I'd need to see:

1. the Guardfile (rules for running specs)
2. what file you're changing (compared to the rules in your Guardfile)
3. the output of the logging (to see which files Guard detected as changed and if it ran the plugin or not)
4. the RSpec command being run (whether it's skipping files or not) - the `guard -d` option will show this

You can also create a repository with the problem - sometimes that really helps a lot, because if I can reproduce the same problem, I can find the cause almost instantly.