Guard stops watching for file changes after run all

Robin Chou

Nov 1, 2014, 5:27:36 PM11/1/14
to guar...@googlegroups.com
I am running into an issue where guard stops detecting file changes after the first run all command.  Anyone else run into an issue like this on OSX Yosemite testing a Rails 4.2 beta2 app?

Thanks!

Nathan Stitt

Nov 1, 2014, 5:44:14 PM11/1/14
to guar...@googlegroups.com
Robin,

I have not.  I've been running Yosemite for a few months,  starting with the beta.   I've got it running all day, compiling coffee script and running Jasmine tests.  What guards are you running?  Perhaps that's got something to do with it

Nathan

On Nov 1, 2014, at 4:27 PM, Robin Chou <chou...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am running into an issue where guard stops detecting file changes after the first run all command.  Anyone else run into an issue like this on OSX Yosemite testing a Rails 4.2 beta2 app?

Thanks!

David Kariuki

Nov 14, 2014, 8:01:52 AM11/14/14
to guar...@googlegroups.com
I'm running into the same issue. Did you ever figure it out?

Cezary Baginski

Dec 17, 2014, 9:33:17 AM12/17/14
to guar...@googlegroups.com
We need more info - there are too many possibly causes.

I *highly* recommend you take a look at this: https://github.com/guard/guard/wiki/Understanding-Guard

It should help you find the cause and get to the core of the issue. It also has important information about how to debug and generate diagnostic output so we can help you.

There have been issues on OSX Yosemite, but your situation may be completely unrelated (people had issues with Dropbox folder, for example - or the disk needed checking, or moving files to a new folder helped, or restarting helped, etc.).

Anyway, go through the Wiki article (it's quite quick to get through) and let us know what's wrong, different or weird.

Roman Gaufman

May 28, 2015, 10:06:26 AM5/28/15
to guar...@googlegroups.com
Here is the problem I am having:

15:00:52 - INFO - Guard is now watching at '/Users/Hackeron/Development//timeagent'

<< I press ctrl+s in the file >>

15:00:52 - DEBUG - Start interactor

15:00:52 - DEBUG - Command execution: stty -g 2>/dev/null

15:00:57 - DEBUG - Interactor was stopped or killed

15:00:57 - DEBUG - Command execution: stty  2>/dev/null

15:00:57 - DEBUG - Hook :run_on_modifications_begin executed for Guard::RSpec

15:00:57 - INFO - Running: spec/models/user_spec.rb

15:00:57 - DEBUG - Command execution: bundle exec rspec -f progress -r /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/guard-rspec-4.5.0/lib/guard/rspec_formatter.rb -f Guard::RSpecFormatter --failure-exit-code 2  spec/models/user_spec.rb

Run options: include {:focus=>true}

All examples were filtered out; ignoring {:focus=>true}

Randomized with seed 59590

Finished in 0.0125 seconds (files took 2.26 seconds to load)

3 examples, 0 failures

Randomized with seed 59590

15:01:00 - DEBUG - Hook :run_on_modifications_end executed for Guard::RSpec

15:01:00 - DEBUG - Start interactor

15:01:00 - DEBUG - Command execution: stty -g 2>/dev/null

[1] guard(main)>

<< I change the file and press ctrl+s, nothing happens... >>

So the first time I press ctrl+s, guard successfully detects the file change and runs my test. The second time I change/save the file, nothing happens.

Something is preventing guard from detecting subsequent file changes.

I'm using guard 2.12.5 and listen 2.10.0 - my Guardfile is the default generated by guard init. Running on Yosemite 10.10.4.

Any ideas?

Cezary Baginski

May 30, 2015, 3:53:00 PM5/30/15
to guar...@googlegroups.com
File an issue on GitHub - make sure you're using `LISTEN_GEM_DEBUGGING=2` environment variable (see the troubleshooting section in guard/listen project).

Also, you can check https://github.com/guard/guard/wiki/Understanding-Guard (has a few tips on debugging issues like this).

You can also create a repo reproducing the problem, and I can take a quick look.