Docker inotify limit

Jeremiah Bohling

Nov 11, 2017, 2:48:43 PM11/11/17
to guard-dev
I ran into the "unable to monitor directories for changes" error while running Ruby on Rails in a Docker container with a mounted volume. I followed the link to the wiki page and tried increasing the inotify limit in the container. This didn't help, but it eventually occurred to me to try increasing it on my local machine, which seems to work. I know next to nothing about inotify, and I'm wondering whether this is the correct solution. If so, is it documented anywhere yet? It wasn't obvious to me, and it might be helpful to others in the future.