Potential group project for Upper Chattahoochee Riverkeeper?

Jim Tebbel

Oct 19, 2011, 9:30:54 PM10/19/11
to GTUG-Atlanta
I'm a member of and volunteer with the Upper Chattahoochee Riverkeeper
(http://www.chattahoochee.org/) when I can, and help with their river
and shoreline cleanups.

They have an iPhone app, written by another volunteer, with one of the
main functions being to report a problem on the river - be it trash,
construction runoff or issues, spill/contamination, or other. The
iPhone app allows you to take a picture of the problem, categorize it,
then send the picture and information with your GPS coordinates to the
Riverkeeper via e-mail.

The iPhone version is at: http://itunes.apple.com/app/ucr/id339339303?mt=8

There is currently no Android version of their app, so I have
volunteered to try to write it.
I've taken screenshots of the iPhone app screens and am starting to
document requirements.
I'd like to get a nice Android version developed and tested on as many
different phones/Android versions as practical.
There are some nice potential enhancements that an Android version
could have, such as incorporating a database of boat ramps/put-ins/
take-outs, so that in addition to the GPS coordinates -- it could also
give distance to the closest boat ramp. (For example: 1.5 miles down-
river from Medlock Bridge). We also discussed generalizing the app so
it could be used on other rivers and report to the appropriate
Riverkeeper.

I'd like to gauge the interest of our members in participating in a
project like this.
If there is enough interest, could we do it as a group project from
beginning to end?
There is a lot I don't know how to do with Android, and I could use
some help.

Thanks,

Jim Tebbel

Youngblood

Oct 20, 2011, 8:56:29 PM10/20/11
to GTUG-Atlanta
I think this is a neat app idea.

I have a Gotomeeting account to share for remote meetings and some
physical meeting space in Norcross, if needed. This all in place of
vast experience with Android but am looking to learn.

I'm interested in going beyond the sample apps with Android sdk.

Tim